Hi guys, i really need help in VB 6,
the problem is that i have an old project that i make as a setup file, and now i need to re construct my project from that setup file, so i can make some modification because unfortunately i don't have the source files.
please, please, help me i need it so urgently, and i'll be thankful.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

What you are talking about there Al, may I call you Al, is decompiling a program. Now, if you use your friends (yahoo, google, ask, answers, bing) and search for decompile vb6 programs, you will find a bunch of various programs out there from free to commercial grade that will decompile programs into Visual Basic 6.0 code. However, and let me state that loudly. HOWEVER, what you will get back from those decompilers will look nothing like what you are used to seeing. You will NOT get your original code back. What you will get is a bunch of gobble-de-gook that will actually compile but will be very hard to read (actually some will return code that will not compile back into the orignial program).

Now for a word of warning. I hope you are being honest that this is your program because if it is not, you will be violating I don't know how many laws and there is not a legitimate forum out there that will knowingly support this activity. So be careful as some forums will not even support or allow the discussion of decompilation even if you can prove it is your own program.

Good Luck

What you are talking about there Al, may I call you Al, is decompiling a program. Now, if you use your friends (yahoo, google, ask, answers, bing) and search for decompile vb6 programs, you will find a bunch of various programs out there from free to commercial grade that will decompile programs into Visual Basic 6.0 code. However, and let me state that loudly. HOWEVER, what you will get back from those decompilers will look nothing like what you are used to seeing. You will NOT get your original code back. What you will get is a bunch of gobble-de-gook that will actually compile but will be very hard to read (actually some will return code that will not compile back into the orignial program).

Now for a word of warning. I hope you are being honest that this is your program because if it is not, you will be violating I don't know how many laws and there is not a legitimate forum out there that will knowingly support this activity. So be careful as some forums will not even support or allow the discussion of decompilation even if you can prove it is your own program.

Good Luck

just additional suggestion
it;s better u try to decompile simple program like adding to numbers or others, make it into projects and try to decompile it
by this way u can realize what u will face
from my experience, it is much easier to rewrite the program
good luck

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.