I'm not sure this is really the right place for this question but I couldn't find a general programming forum.

Why are the numeric values -1 and 0 used to represent the logical values TRUE and FALSE?

No particular reason to ask this, I'm just curious!

David

Neither of them explain why -1 is used. It mentions that true is a non-zero value '(such as 1 or -1)', but that's it.
In VB and earlier versions of BASIC it's always been -1.
Anyway, not a big deal, just curious.

>Neither of them explain why -1 is used.

True means True and False means False. False is 0 because there is nothing. True is anything non-zero, because there is SOMETHING.

yeah i think your missing my point.
i was curious about why specifically the value -1 was used (yes i know it could have been any non-zero value)
a boolean variable takes up 2 bytes of storage so that it can accomodate values 0 and -1 but only a single bit is actually required to distinguish between the two values. i suspect this is because its actually the same data type as a signed 16 bit integer.
anyhow, there doesn't seem to be any clear answer to this so i think i'll drop this rather idle query...

mmm an interesting discussion going on there...
i dont want to add to it as i dont have sufficient knowledge at the right level (i.e. compilers), but it was interesting to note that no-one asked what the design goal of the new language was.
as someone who tries (or used to anyway) write efficient code I find it puzzling that single boolean values take up so much wasted space in a database.
i have had occassion to write code that packs several boolean values into a single integer but in these days of almost limitless memory and data storage capacity it doesnt seem important. Even using a Byte storage field can cause problems as it doesn't map easily when binding data to interface controls that expect a 'Boolean'.
Anyhow... more important things to worry about so I'm getting back to the real world of development... thanks for the comments and link.

David

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.