How can i make sscanf() skip all whitespace characters?I read from a file and i dont know where are the characters.
eg.->@Solomon Islands ,i need "Solomon Islands" in one string
e.g->AGAF (AFT) – Afutara Airport – Afutara ,i need "Afutara Airport" in one string.

How can i make sscanf() skip all whitespace characters?

It's awkward for string data. You might be better off manually extracting the data you want.

eg.->@Solomon Islands ,i need "Solomon Islands" in one string

The boundary characters matter. I assume the string starts with '@', but if it ends with any of the internal whitespace you want to keep, you're going to get more than you want. For the example, let's assume there's a newline after "Islands" to keep it simple:

/*
  Breakdown:

@: Read and ignore a literal '@' character
  %[^\n]: Read everything up to a newline character into dst
*/
sscanf(src, "@%[^\n]", dst);

e.g->AGAF (AFT) – Afutara Airport – Afutara ,i need "Afutara Airport" in one string.

/*
  Breakdown:

%*[^-]: Read and ignore everything up to a '-' character
  -: Read and ignore the literal '-' still in the stream
  space: Read and ignore leading whitespace
  %[^\n]: Read everything up to a '-' character into dst
*/
sscanf(src, "%*[^-]- %[^-]", dst);

Note that this will leave trailing whitespace in dst.

If i want to read this line-->AGAR (RNA) – Ulawa Airport – Arona, Ulawa Island
and store:
AGAR in var1
RNA in var2
Ulawa Airport in var3
Arona, Ulawa Island in var4

this command is ok?

sscanf(buffer, "%s (%s) %*[^-]- %[^-] %s", var1,var2,var3,var4);

I dont think so..Anybody that can plsease help me.Thanks in advance.

If i want to read this line-->AGAR (RNA) – Ulawa Airport – Arona, Ulawa Island
and store:
AGAR in var1
RNA in var2
Ulawa Airport in var3
Arona, Ulawa Island in var4

this command is ok?

sscanf(buffer, "%s (%s) %*[^-]- %[^-] %s", var1,var2,var3,var4);

I dont think so..Anybody that can plsease help me.Thanks in advance.

The use of sscanf() in that way can be very convoluted.

sscanf(buffer, "%s (%[^)]) - %[^-]- %[^0]", var1,var2,var3,var4);

or

sscanf(buffer, "%[A-Z] (%[A-Z]) - %[a-zA-Z ]- %[A-Za-z, ]", var1, var2, var3, var4);

Still the red portion is there to make a point. Since you want var3 to hold a space in between words, there's a space trailing as well. >>Ulawa Airport <<

"Not working" is not helpful. I notice that you're using '–' in the example string and '-' in the format string. While they look very similar, they're two different characters. To avoid that confusion, let's consider them both in the format string. The following should work almost perfectly:

#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
{
    const char *p = "AGAR (RNA) – Ulawa Airport – Arona, Ulawa Island";
    char var1[BUFSIZ] = "";
    char var2[BUFSIZ] = "";
    char var3[BUFSIZ] = "";
    char var4[BUFSIZ] = "";

sscanf(p, "%s ( %[^)]) %*[–-] %[^–-]%*[–-] %[^\n]", var1, var2, var3, var4);
    printf(">%s<\n>%s<\n>%s<\n>%s<\n", var1, var2, var3, var4);

return 0;
}

I say almost because var3 should have trailing whitespace that still needs to be trimmed.

%[a-zA-Z ]

Note that ranges like this are not portable.

Edited 6 Years Ago by Narue: n/a

"Not working" is not helpful. I notice that you're using '–' in the example string and '-' in the format string. While they look very similar, they're two different characters. To avoid that confusion, let's consider them both in the format string. The following should work almost perfectly:

#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
{
    const char *p = "AGAR (RNA) – Ulawa Airport – Arona, Ulawa Island";
    char var1[BUFSIZ] = "";
    char var2[BUFSIZ] = "";
    char var3[BUFSIZ] = "";
    char var4[BUFSIZ] = "";

printf(">%s<\n>%s<\n>%s<\n>%s<\n", var1, var2, var3, var4);

return 0;
}

I say almost because var3 should have trailing whitespace that still needs to be trimmed.

While most likely, I suspect, there's a newline break in the OP's, there's none in this example, creating the potential of reading more than it should.

Edited 6 Years Ago by Aia: n/a

While most likely, I suspect, there's a newline break in the OP's, there's none in this example, creating the potential of reading more than it should.

It reads to a newline or end-of-file. Until the OP deigns to tell us enough about the format to know what comes after the example, we can only assume. I made it clear already that boundaries matter, so the OP either needs to figure it out on his own, or post a complete format description.

But regardless of that particular detail, he can still take advantage of the code to solve his problem.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.