I made a Roguelike game with SFML in Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 and got it to compile fine in both configurations. However, when I run it in Debug mode in either, I get an error message.
Debug says:

This Application has failed to start because the Application configuration is incorrect. Review the manifest file for possible errors. Reinstalling the Application may fix the problem (yea right :roll:).For more details, please see the application event log

That's with Debug on. Off, the thing just crashes.
Here's release:

Unhandled exception at 0x766c1ca4 in Simple Rogue.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000002.
Break Continue Ignore

I am forced to break, and here's the odd line of code in some .c file causing problems:

if (__native_startup_state == __initializing)
            {
                _initterm( __xc_a, __xc_z );//this one
                __native_startup_state = __initialized;
            }

Also, I need to recompile every time I try to run in Debug Config for some reason... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you compile the SFML libraries yourself from source or download one of the binaries? I went to their site and did not see a binary version that was built with vc++ 2010.

Downloaded Binaries then built it from the Build File, after converting it. Was there a better way to do this (or is this the completely wrong way?0

I downloaded the binaries for vc++ 2008 and got this simple tutorial to work with vc++ 2010 express. I had to copy the dlls into a directory that is in my PATH environment variable -- in my case I could have added the path but I chose to copy the dlls into c:\windows directory.

Post your program and I'll see if I can duplicate your problem.

Edited 6 Years Ago by Ancient Dragon: n/a

I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 and can not successfully compile the example program pong.cpp because of unresolved external linkage for sf::Font::ourDefaultCharset. I've included every library in the package but no luck.

From what I read on their forums it appears the programs do not yet work with Windows 7.

[edit]Scrath that ^^^ it was my fault for not defining SFML_DYNAMIC

Edited 6 Years Ago by Ancient Dragon: n/a

Whoops! didn't see that! It must be 64-Bit stuff, I'm on 64-Bit Vista with x86. I'm contacting my friend who uses Dev-C++ on Windows XP to see if he can compile it from the .cpp and .h files. Thanks for your help, anyway.

Edited 6 Years Ago by Buolbear4444: Missed Previous post

Got past that but now I'm having runtime problems because of missing DLLs such as openal32.dll and libsndfile-1.dll. I found out where to get openal32.dll but I have not yet discovered where to get libsndfile-1.dll.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.