From python.org official website:
Python 2.7

Python 2.7 was released on July 3rd, 2010.

Python 2.7 is scheduled to be the last major version in the 2.x series before it moves into an extended maintenance period. This release contains many of the features that were first released in Python 3.1. Improvements in this release include:

* An ordered dictionary type
* New unittest features including test skipping and new assert methods
* A much faster io module
* Automatic numbering of fields in the str.format() method
* Float repr improvements backported from 3.x
* Tile support for Tkinter
* A backport of the memoryview object from 3.x
* Set literals
* Set and dictionary comprehensions
* Dictionary views
* New syntax for nested with statements
* The sysconfig module

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Good news.

I sent Michael Foord request of binary installer for Psyco in Windows for this version, hope he can prepare one. Then maybe I can move forward. Now I am preparing finally to go over to Python 3.x by using from __future__ import print_function. Just noticed yesterday though that raise syntax has changed, so the my trimmed version of the Sudoku solver code got one incompatibility for version 3 at last moment. Usually they say though that you should prepare two versions of code: one for version 2, one for 3. Like my computer teacher said: do not write adjustable wrench, write set of tools.

Test with the Sudoku code running top95.txt sudokus posted yesterday:

# Got 95 out of 95
Total time taken 4.381 s

Quite a speedup compared to Python 2.6.5:

# Got 95 out of 95
Total time taken 4.766 s

(Psyco makes that program actually slower)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.