So, a single user application, all data is local, no remote access ....

If a go with an Access file (DB), from the user's perspective, they simply install the app and they are good to go.

Is it the same if I go with a SQL DB, or do they have to have SQL or SQL Express installed?

I ask because I'd rather go with a SQL simply because the potential for exceeding the 4GB limitation of Access is a remote possibility. However, I know if I require my mates to install SQL or SQL Express ... many will pass on it.

I'm aware of techniques to get creative with Access DB splitting, and using multiple Access DBs ... but that's not relative to the question. :)

Thanks guys.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Microsoft's SQL Server Express has also 4GB limitation. I'm not sure about SQL Server CE -edition. Anyway, if you really need to handle multi-GB amounts of data and you have to do it efficiently, you'll end up using some "real" database like SQL Server or MySQL.

If you're still in the design phase of your application, you can consider different scenarios and choose a suitable solution. If the installable "real" DB is out of the question, you could consider also SQLite or similar file-based solution which can be easily expand as much as the application needs. Of course you'll make some trade-off with efficiency.

HTH

Microsoft's SQL Server Express has also 4GB limitation. I'm not sure about SQL Server CE -edition. Anyway, if you really need to handle multi-GB amounts of data and you have to do it efficiently, you'll end up using some "real" database like SQL Server or MySQL.

If you're still in the design phase of your application, you can consider different scenarios and choose a suitable solution. If the installable "real" DB is out of the question, you could consider also SQLite or similar file-based solution which can be easily expand as much as the application needs. Of course you'll make some trade-off with efficiency.

HTH

It does help Teme ... thank you.

I wasn't aware of the SQL Express limitation. So I learned something there too. I do have SQL server 2005. Its just that when I started talking about supporting the app with SQL or MySQL ... eyes rolled back in people's heads and the grumbling started. :p

Its not a business app, it a personal app to help our group manage and share info. And of course there is no budget.

The instant you start talking about having to install database systems, all kinds of alarm bells start going off with those that are marginally proficient with their computers in the first place. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.