ehrendreich 0 Newbie Poster

I am rather new to vb and could use some help. I am using the latest version of vb and am working with a database to add some records. Simply, I would like to have a form that adds a new record into the tblContact table then enter a few fields into the tblContactLog table. The tblContactLog table is tied to the tblContact table with a key called ContactID.

tblContact     tblContactLog

ContactID      ContactID
FirstName      ContactPurpose
LastName       ContactNotes

I realize that I have to create the contact in the tblContact table first. Then I need to read that ContactID from the current record. After I read that value from the current record I need to open the tblContactPurpose table and insert a new record with the ContactID from previous operation.

I have an existing dataset called Clubhouse_Management_SystemDataSet that contains both tables. I have 2 table adapters. One is called TblContactTableAdapter & the other is TblContactLogTableAdapter. For each there is also a binding source. One is TblContactBindingSource and the other TblContactLogBindingSource.

When the form loads I have it filling the table adapters with

'TODO: This line of code loads data into the 'Clubhouse_Management_SystemDataSet.tblContactLog' table. You can move, or remove it, as needed.
Me.TblContactLogTableAdapter.Fill(Me.Clubhouse_Management_SystemDataSet.tblContactLog)
'TODO: This line of code loads data into the        'Clubhouse_Management_SystemDataSet.tblContact' table. You can move, or remove it, as needed.
Me.TblContactTableAdapter.Fill(Me.Clubhouse_Management_SystemDataSet.tblContact)
TblContactBindingSource.AddNew()

I have a button (btnAdd) that does

TblContactLogBindingSource.EndEdit()
    TblContactTableAdapter.Update(Clubhouse_Management_SystemDataSet.tblContact)
    TblContactLogBindingSource.AddNew() 

This is where I get stuck I need to take the value from the txtContactPurpose.text and the txtContactNotes.text along with the ContactID that was created in the first step and populate the tblContactLog table.

My actual full code at this point:

Public Class frmAddContactLog

Private _ContactID As Integer = 0

Private Sub TblContactLogBindingNavigatorSaveItem_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)
        Me.Validate()
        Me.TblContactLogBindingSource.EndEdit()
        Me.TableAdapterManager.UpdateAll(Me.Clubhouse_Management_SystemDataSet)

End Sub

Private Sub frmAddContactLog_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        'TODO: This line of code loads data into the 'Clubhouse_Management_SystemDataSet.tblContactLog' table. You can move, or remove it, as needed.
        Me.TblContactLogTableAdapter.Fill(Me.Clubhouse_Management_SystemDataSet.tblContactLog)
        'TODO: This line of code loads data into the 'Clubhouse_Management_SystemDataSet.tblContact' table. You can move, or remove it, as needed.
        Me.TblContactTableAdapter.Fill(Me.Clubhouse_Management_SystemDataSet.tblContact)
        TblContactBindingSource.AddNew()

End Sub

Private Sub TblContactBindingNavigatorSaveItem_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)
        Me.Validate()
        Me.TblContactBindingSource.EndEdit()
        Me.TableAdapterManager.UpdateAll(Me.Clubhouse_Management_SystemDataSet)

End Sub

Private Sub btnAdd_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnAdd.Click
        TblContactLogBindingSource.EndEdit()
        TblContactTableAdapter.Update(Clubhouse_Management_SystemDataSet.tblContact)
        TblContactLogBindingSource.AddNew()

End Sub
End Class