I have a windows form that references two tables with a foreign key constraint issue. This form uses detail views for both tables. The tables are tblContact and tblMembers. The relation is based on the ContactID that is in both tables. The parent is in the tblContact table.

I am using the binding source to do record navigation. Overall this is working well. When I have data in both tables it performs navigation accurately. Modification works if there is existing data in both tables that meet the relationship. The problem that I have is when I try to find if there is an existing record in the tblMembers table. I can't use find. I know that it has to do with accessing the detail table correctly. I am pretty sure that this is done via getting the properties of the table and accessing the PropertyDescriptorCollection.

Either way I am looking to save the data in the tables in a safe way. I am also concerned that I might have concurrency problems with the way that I am getting records.

Here is a code example that I am trying:

Imports System.ComponentModel

Public Class frmMember

Private Sub TblContactsBindingNavigatorSaveItem_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)
        Me.Validate()
        Me.TblContactsBindingSource.EndEdit()
        Me.TableAdapterManager.UpdateAll(Me.Ds)

End Sub

Private Sub TblContactsBindingNavigatorSaveItem_Click_1(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles TblContactsBindingNavigatorSaveItem.Click

Dim newMemberRow As DataRow 'To create a new row in the tblMember table
        Dim contactID As Integer 'To hold the contactID to insert in the new member ContactID field
        Dim rowsaffected As Integer 'To indicate the number of rows affected by update
        Dim contactIndex As Integer

Me.Validate()
        Me.TblContactsBindingSource.EndEdit()
        Me.TblContactsTableAdapter.Update(Ds.tblContacts)

' Me.TblContactsBindingSource.MoveLast()

contactIndex = Me.TblContactsBindingSource.Position()

MessageBox.Show("The contact Index is " & contactIndex)

contactID = Me.Ds.Tables("tblContacts").Rows(contactIndex).Item("ContactID")

MessageBox.Show("The ContactID is " & contactID.ToString())
        newMemberRow = Ds.Tables("tblMember").NewRow()
        newMemberRow.Item("ContactID") = contactID
        newMemberRow.Item("Status") = StateTextBox.Text
        newMemberRow.Item("MemberNotes") = MemberNotesTextBox.Text

Try
            Ds.Tables("tblMember").Rows.Add(newMemberRow)
            Me.TblMemberBindingSource.EndEdit()

Catch ex As Exception

MessageBox.Show(ex.Message)

End Try

Me.TableAdapterManager.UpdateAll(Me.Ds)

End Sub

Private Sub frmMember_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        'TODO: This line of code loads data into the 'Ds.tblMember' table. You can move, or remove it, as needed.
        Me.TblMemberTableAdapter.Fill(Me.Ds.tblMember)
        'TODO: This line of code loads data into the 'Ds.tblContacts' table. You can move, or remove it, as needed.
        Me.TblContactsTableAdapter.Fill(Me.Ds.tblContacts)

End Sub

Private Sub BindingNavigatorAddNewItem_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles BindingNavigatorAddNewItem.Click

End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Dim props As PropertyDescriptorCollection = TblMemberBindingSource.CurrencyManager.GetItemProperties()

If (TblMemberBindingSource.Find(props["ContactID"], "5") >= 0) Then

MessageBox.Show("There were records found")

End If

End Sub
End Class

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

hope this might help i save contents from a listbox to internal settings file.

you could add this to the above code to save it safely

If ListBox8.Items.Count > 0 Then
            My.Settings.Names.Clear()
            For Each LI As String In ListBox8.Items
                My.Settings.Names.Add(LI)
            Next
        End If

Ok. I found out that to get the insert done this way you have to reset the bindingsource. As in

Me.TblContactsBindingSource.ResetBindings(True)
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.