Okay, so I have created and array of a maximum degree, which the user defines, and then inputs their own coefficients according to the size of the polynomial. For example, I ask for degree, they type 2, and then input 1,3 and 5 to create a polynomial:

1 + 3x + 5x^2

We have to initialize a function which takes an int and evaluates the expression, the easiest way I have found is using <cmath> and the pow(a,b) function. Below is my code to evaluate, but I keep getting errors. I know I have to convert my "int x" into a double, and then back into an int when I return a value. The function has to remain an int due to the nature of the assignment:

int Poly::evaluate(int x)
{
    int total = 0;
    double(x);
    for(int i = 0; i <= degree; i++){
      total += coefs[i]*pow(x,i); //coefs[] array is the array in which the coef's are stored
}
return total;
}

Also, We need to be able to multiply 2 polynomials together, I have written what I think is correct, but when I run in in a client, I get some funky numbers

Mult overload:

Poly::Poly operator*(const Poly& p)
{
Poly temp;
 temp.degree = degree + p.degree;
if(temp.degree > 99)
cout << "cannot evaluate";
for(int i = 0; i < degree; i++){
  for(int j =0; j < p.degree; j++){
     temp.coefs[i+j] += coefs[i]*p.coefs[j];
   }
}
return temp;
}

here is my display function, in case something went wacky there

void Poly::display(ostream& out) const
{
out<<coefs[0] << "+"';
for(int i = 0; i <= (degree-1); i++)
  out<< coefs[i]<< "x^" << (i) << " + ";
out << coefs[degree] << "x^" << degree;
}

Edited 3 Years Ago by mike_2000_17: Fixed formatting

First part: for the pow() function issue. I would suggest you just avoid it altogether by a simple multiplying accumulator:

int Poly::evaluate(int x)
{
  int total = 0;
  int x_pow_term = 1;
  for(int i = 0; i <= degree; i++){
    total += coefs[i]*x_pow_term; //coefs[] array is the array in which the coef's are stored
    x_pow_term *= x; //just multiply the previous term by x, so: x^i = x^(i-1) * x (with x^0 == 1)
  };
  return total;
};

Second part: all that I can see that could be wrong is if you didn't initialize your array temp.coefs to zero. Try adding this to see if the output is better:

Poly::Poly operator*(const Poly& p)
{
  Poly temp;
  temp.degree = degree + p.degree; //this resizes coefs right?
  if(temp.degree > 99)
    cout << "cannot evaluate";
  for(int i = 0; i < temp.degree; ++i)
    temp.coefs[i] = 0; //set all the sum values to their initial zero.
  for(int i = 0; i < degree; i++){
    for(int j =0; j < p.degree; j++){
      temp.coefs[i+j] += coefs[i]*p.coefs[j];
    }
  }
  return temp;
}

Ok in the first instance, using power is plain ugly and inefficient. The typical route for a polynomial in the positive sense, is to do something like this:

int total(0);
int xpow(1);
for(int i=0;i<=degree;i++)
  {
    total+=coef[i]*xpow;
    xpow*=x;
   }

You can also do it via an internal bracket expansion: [this is effectively (((coef[N]*x+coef[N-1])*x+coef[N-2])*x+.... ))) ]

int total(0);
for(int i=degree;i>0;i--)
  {
    total+=coef[i];
    total*=x;
  }
total+=coef[0];

I like the second one slightly more.... but not alot in it. [Note the fact you are counting down in the loop, AND you cannot save a step by initializing the total to coef[0] before the loop. -- I only emphasize the last point as ran a 2000 CPU hour simulation with that bug in it :(. ]

Your display function is wrong because you write coef[0] twice, run the loop for(int i=1;i<degree;i++) . Note that it is normal to write polynomials high power to constant.

Your multiply: If you want to limit the degree to less than 100, then as well as a warning exit as well. Also have your resized coefs??? in temp do you zero coefs in temp ???

Note: Mike_2000_17 beat me to the post [must learn to type faster], sorry for the repeat, the second version of the evaluation code might be of merit, however.

p.s. Thanks for posting a good first post question to the C++ forum, e.g. code blocks, and sufficient information about your problem and what you have tried.

Edited 6 Years Ago by StuXYZ: n/a

Comments
Very helpful

Thank you both for your quick responses, they both have helped out immensely with the assignment, and it is good for me to gain some other methods other than what I see in class and from my peers. I hate using the pow() function, I figured out how to change the double/int situation, but it was ugly, and I will be going back and replacing it with the code you guys suggested.

StuXYZ, thanks for the feedback on my post, as I am still unsure of all the forum protocol and etiquette, so anything helps.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.