hi forum,
i m developing a simple web crawler in java.upon entering an URL, the crawler downloads the corresponding web page and continues this process.but i m having problem in accessing web pages which are redirected to a diferent URL.one such example is www.telegraphindia.com ,in which a new part gets added to the original URL. can anybody help.thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Let's look at the response when requesting this page:

HTTP/1.1 302 Object moved
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:06:26 GMT
Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
Content-Length: 148
Content-Type: text/html
Set-Cookie: ASPSESSIONIDACTBSRRB=FALIOKOCIJNCLJAPOONLFLCF; path=/
Cache-control: private

<head><title>Object moved</title></head>
<body><h1>Object Moved</h1>This object may be found <a HREF="section/frontpage/index.asp">here</a>.</body>

The header indicates a response code of 302. 302 responses include a "Location" directive that indicates where the actual response can be found at (if properly formatted that is). As you can see from the response, the Location is specified as "section/frontpage/index.asp". All you need to do is request that page from the same domain in order to get the information you want.

thanks criss for ur reply, but i dont know how to implement ur suggetion.i hv created a inputstream object and used a url.openstream() method to access the contents of the page.can u suggest how i can capture the redirected portion of the URL.also how can i find out the http response codes that u showed.plz help.

You should use the HttpURLConnection class for requesting pages through HTTP. This class has a setFollowRedirects method that allows you to tell the class to automatically follow redirects. This class has many methods that you will find very helpful since it gives you the ability to read response messages and header information from the response.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.