I have created three timers(5sec,5sec, and 10sec) for my Windows gui. When the timer event is triggered, it displays an Timeout error to a textbox. For some reason, the timers doesn't trigger in some procedures but does in others. I don't believe any process is holding up the code to disallow the timers from triggering. What can I do to debug the problem? Thanks.

Recommended Answers

Probably you missed some steps in setting up the timer. Give us the steps you carried out upto now. Oh and tell us if it is a MFC or Win32 Application.

Jump to Post

All 4 Replies

Probably you missed some steps in setting up the timer. Give us the steps you carried out upto now. Oh and tell us if it is a MFC or Win32 Application.

The code is written in VC++ .NET. In my procedures, I call

CmdAckTimer->Start(); // Start timer
CmdAckTimer->Stop(); // Stop timer

static System::Windows::Forms::Timer *  CmdAckTimer;

// 
// CmdAckTimer
// 
this->CmdAckTimer->Interval = 5000; // 5 sec 
this->CmdAckTimer->Tick += new System::EventHandler(this, CmdAckTimer_Tick);

void Test::CmdAckTimer_Tick(System::Object *  sender, System::EventArgs *  e)
 {
     CmdAckTimer->Stop();
     txtStats->Text=String::Concat (S"CmdAckTimer->Stop", S"\r\n",txtStats->Text);
     txtStats->Text=String::Concat (S"Error: Cmd Ack Timer timed out ", DateTime::Now.ToLongTimeString(),S"\r\n",txtStats->Text);
 }

I dont know much on Windows Forms Applications, but at first glance everything looks okay to me. But where do you call the CmdAckTimer->Start() method? Dont you have to call it here?

//
// CmdAckTimer
//
this->CmdAckTimer->Interval = 5000; // 5 sec
this->CmdAckTimer->Tick += new System::EventHandler(this, CmdAckTimer_Tick);
this->CmdAckTimer->Start();

and inside the TimerEventHandler

void Test::CmdAckTimer_Tick(System::Object * sender, System::EventArgs * e)
{
CmdAckTimer->Stop();
txtStats->Text=String::Concat (S"CmdAckTimer->Stop", S"\r\n",txtStats->Text);
txtStats->Text=String::Concat (S"Error: Cmd Ack Timer timed out ", DateTime::Now.ToLongTimeString(),S"\r\n",txtStats->Text);
CmdAckTimer->Enabled = true;
}

Check it out.

I make the Start() call in my Button click event. One thing I noticed was that the timer works in an event, but not in a static function.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.