Dear All.

I have a small problem with the code attached. I am trying to add an object to a linked list. When I try to compile I am getting an error. For the life of me I cant figure out the error. this is after 5hrs of head wrecking searching. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thx in advance Tim.

12 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Dave Sinkula

I only time to look at one file. In Sequence.cpp I found this function. I believe this may cause a problem if the index is not valid.

SeqItemType Sequence::retrieve(int index)
  if ((index < 1) || (index > size())){
    // can't delete something that isn't there
  ListNode *cur = find(index);
  return cur->item;

If the expression in the if statement is true it will still do the last bit of code, unless you wanted and if-else structure.
The find(index) will return zero if index is not valid. Then when it tries to resolve cur->item, that might give you a problem. Look at your code and see if you are ever returning 0 that will be used in a cur->item context. Check for 0. If it is, return or move on without doing anything.

One would be the missing semicolon in "Sequence.h":

typedef patient SeqItemType;

Others are things like returning a pointer from a function that is not declared as returning a pointer.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.