I am trying to develop a rate calculator for a fee schedule although "calculator" may not be the best term to use.

I have an Excel file containing 7 different fees that correspond to a single loan amount. LOan amounts run in $1,000 increments from $50,000 to $1,000,000.

I am trying to develop an application for quick-lookup of fees matching a loan amount. I would like to keep the application to a single .exe file if possible. I have the layout created and close to pulling data from the Excel file...still trying to figure out how to pull the Excel data into the VB app...help!

The fee schedule and a sample app are attached.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I am trying to develop a rate calculator for a fee schedule although "calculator" may not be the best term to use.

I have an Excel file containing 7 different fees that correspond to a single loan amount. LOan amounts run in $1,000 increments from $50,000 to $1,000,000.

I am trying to develop an application for quick-lookup of fees matching a loan amount. I would like to keep the application to a single .exe file if possible. I have the layout created and close to pulling data from the Excel file...still trying to figure out how to pull the Excel data into the VB app...help!

The fee schedule and a sample app are attached.

No 1.

Don't post .exe files to forums and expect people to open them.

No 2.

Why are you storing the data in Excel? This will require the client computer to have the Excel object library installed on it to be able to run the application. I'd store it in a text file or something similar and then on program startup load the file into memory.

No 3.

Let me know if you need more help with this.

Mark

No. 1
Great point...I don't know why my mind blanked on that one...

No.2
The company I work for paid a temp to re-type a booklet that we distribute. They used Excel for whatever reason. I can't even find the department that published the content in this booklet...it's a rate schedule...wouldn't it make sense that the rates would have some mathematical relation to the corresponding amount...it seems almost random! I can take this table and port it to any format.

I figured that this could be a 2 file application pretty easy...I was wondering if it could be done in 1 .exe file...

Thanks for any help you can offer!

No. 1
Great point...I don't know why my mind blanked on that one...

No.2
The company I work for paid a temp to re-type a booklet that we distribute. They used Excel for whatever reason. I can't even find the department that published the content in this booklet...it's a rate schedule...wouldn't it make sense that the rates would have some mathematical relation to the corresponding amount...it seems almost random! I can take this table and port it to any format.

I figured that this could be a 2 file application pretty easy...I was wondering if it could be done in 1 .exe file...

Thanks for any help you can offer!

I can't seem to open the attachment anymore, perhaps you can email me the spreadsheet at mnemtsas @ timesheetsmts . com for me to take a look at. And no there is no reason why it can't be a one file app.

You could store the tables in data statements but then you would have to
recompile the program if changes were made.

I would think that either 1) a text file containing the tables or
2) a separate entry program for the tables (to keep the tables in a relatively
safe format)

then print or whatever with your main program after reading the table(s)
and selecting which one.

A random file would be the easiest solution for 2). That way you could update
an individual record (or correct an error) when needed. I have done this
with payroll tables which sound similar to what you have.

Number 1) would be just about as easy with a text editor but less secure.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.