Hi, i am creating a windows application in c# while making an exe i want to add setup of sqlexpress. how i can add this so it will install when package is install.

I have add prerequisties in properties to add windows installer,.net framework,sqlserver but it seems to be not installed properly. When i am externally install the sqlexpress the s/w is running.

Any idea how to install sqlexpress when package is install..

Thanks in advance..............

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

If you execute the Setup.exe program, and not just the MyApplicationName.msi file, it does a check for prerequisties and installs them if necessary then runs the MSI file to install your application.
[Edit]
If prerequisties are set to download from website then internet access is required on the target machine.
If prerequisties are set to download from same location as my app then prerequist insallers are added to the output folder and must be copied as part of your installer.

Hi, nick.crane do you mean insallers are added to the Application folder, if yes then i have already added the sqlexpr32.exe file in that but it can't install the sql express ..

Hi anybody have any idea about how to install sqlexpress while package installing.

Hi, nick.crane do you mean insallers are added to the Application folder, if yes then i have already added the sqlexpr32.exe file in that but it can't install the sql express ..

You do not need to add sqlexpr32.exe to your installer project.

In the prerequisites selection dialog there are three radio buttons to select from where these required external inatallation packages are to be downloaded.

If you select download from same location as my app then, when you build your installer, the packages are copied to the Output folder of your installation project. Then when you run the setup.exe file (also added to the Output folder) the required packages are automatically installed (if needed) before your application.

I got your point but sqlexpr32.exe doesnot run when package is installed i have select download from same location as my app but its not working....

Check the Control Panel - Programs and Features (or Add Remove Programs) to see if SQL Express is already installed.
If it is then that is why you do not see the SQL intaller run.

Thanks nick.crane for your valuable reply, Actually what i am doing is am change the prerequisites in my project only not in package properties prerequisites. That's why unable to install the sqlexpress.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.