hi...i m again here...
i have a datagridview on a form which contains studentname (in alphabetical order) and a blank rollno field according to the particular class.Now what i m suppose to do is to assign roll no on button click, starting from first student to last student.
Roll no is like 11DCE001...For eg:-
Roll No StudentName
11DCE001 A
11DCE002 B
11DCE003 C
....... .
....... .
til last row....
We can take a textbox to define the starting value..and checkboxes if needed..
please assist me on how to acccomplish this task.

For i = 0 To DataGridView1.Rows.Count - 1
    DataGridView1.Item(0, i).Value = Mid("11DCE000", 1, 8 - (i + 1).ToString.Length) + (i + 1).ToString
Next

Edited 5 Years Ago by adam_k: n/a

sir,
11DCE0 is not fixed since there so many classes so it keep changing

thnxs friend...appreciate ur effort..
again i want to assign enrolment no to students like this 11-0001 to 11-9999.is this possible????

It's the same thing:

DataGridView1.Item(0, i).Value = Mid("11-0000", 1, 7 - (i + 1).ToString.Length) + (i + 1).ToString
Next

but you might want to check that datagridview.rows.count isn't bigger that 9999 and has at least one record to satisfy your criteria

You can do it this way:

Private Sub button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs)
	Dim couter As Integer = 1
	For i As Integer = 0 To dataGridView1.Rows.Count - 1
		If Not dataGridView1.Rows(i).IsNewRow Then
			dataGridView1("rollNo", i).Value = [String].Format("{0}-{1}", "11", System.Math.Max(System.Threading.Interlocked.Increment(couter),couter - 1).ToString().PadLeft(4, "0"C))
		End If
	Next
End Sub

The code addes values form "11-0001" to the last student in the dgv. Enumeration is by 1 up.

Edited 5 Years Ago by Mitja Bonca: n/a

It really worked.i m very very thankful to all of u helping hands.i m realy glad..thnxs again...
one question again...i have checkbox and other columns in my datagridview..now i want to keep the grid non-editable,so i go through the properties and uncheck 'enable editing'.....but the problem is now i m unable to check the checkbox column in the grid.Hope u got my question!!!!!!!!

DataGridView1.Item(0, i).Value = Mid("11-0000", 1, 7 - (i + 1).ToString.Length) + (i + 1).ToString
Next

it works fine in datagridview but how to insert these roll no to database??????????????

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.