Hello all! I'm helping my employer redesign their database system. They're currently using MS Access exclusively, but they are updating their computer systems to Apple machines and want to convert to a standalone application to access a background database (e.g., a standalone Java program using JDBC to access a background Oracle DB).

My questions are:

1. What would you recommend for the background database program, assuming
    the system will be running on OS X and the standalone program will be written
    in Java?
  2. Do you have any comments or advice regarding this setup? Do you have a better
    suggestion?

Thanks,
Travis

There isn't much background to comment on. Sure, Java + JDBC works pretty good for accessing almost all kinds of RMDSes. Things you might want to keep in mind? To start off (assuming you are new to JDBC):
1) Use Type 4 JDBC thin driver (pure Java driver) instead of JDBC ODBC bridge
2) If you have a healthy number of transactions per sec/min, consider using a connection pool instead of grabbing the connection every time from the database.
3) Make sure you go through: http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/jdbc/TOC.html
4) If you are submitting/requesting a *lot* of bulk data, consider setting the fetch size so that all data is retrieved in a single go instead of making a lot of round trips.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.