How do I get the console from closing immediatley upon opening in a Console Application program? I have all of the code written but when I run the program it pops up the console window and then immediatley exits so I am unable to read what is in the window to see if my program is operating correctly. This is the first time I've ever used a console window so I don't know where in the code I would need to put "whatever it is" I might need to put to keep the window open until closed by the user.

Recommended Answers

Console.Readline()
Jump to Post

See also Console.ReadKey

Put it at the very end of your 'Main' method.

Jump to Post

All 7 Replies

Console.Readline()

Also to slow things down you can use Thread.Sleep(100) to slow it down by a 1/10 of a second.

Imports System.Threading
Console.WriteLine("Sleep for 2 seconds.")
Thread.Sleep(2000)

If you're running this from Visual Studio, you can set a breakpoint on your last line and the program will pause there.

Also, you could actually run the executable FROM the command-line (instead of Visual Studio or double-clicking an icon).

Good idea, thines01. Open CMD.exe and navigate to your debug or release folder and then type in the executables name.

Press Ctrl + F5. :)

--> Start without debugging..

Could wrap the whole thing in a while loop too.

Dim ex As String = ""

While ex <> "exit"

'your code here

Console.WriteLine("Type exit to exit the application")
            ex = Console.ReadLine()
        End While
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.20 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.