currently, i have got code that will let someone search a table in a database and return any possible recordsets into a listbox. however, i would like to be able to click on any of those items added to the list box, so that it will return other data from the chosen record. how would i go about doing this?

i am not sure how to get the search data from the listbox entry to on_click() query

Well you can get the listbox entry with:

listboxname.list(listboxname.listindex)

So, if for example, you had a listbox named "list1", you could get the highlight item in the list, and save it to a variable named lstdata by saying:

lstdata = list1.list(list1.listindex)

Or am I confused on exactly what you are having trouble with?

the listbox starts of empty. when a search is done, the records that are found, are displayed by ProductName in the listbox. what i need is to beable to click on one of these entries, so that the whole recordset can be viewed in the textboxes provided.

the following is the code i am using for a command button. when the button is hit, the string in the text box is used in the search, then populating the listbox

Private Sub cmdFindProductName_click()
Dim strSQL As String
Dim tb As String
tb = TxtSearchBox.Text

strSQL = "SELECT * from [product] where [productName] like '%" & tb & "%' "

con.Open
RS.Open strSQL, con

If RS.EOF = True Then

RS.Close
con.Close

MsgBox "Record was not Found", vbOKOnly, "No Match"
Else
Do Until RS.EOF
listProductName.AddItem "" & RS("ProductName") 
RS.MoveNext
Loop

RS.Close
con.Close
End If

End Sub

Edited 1 Year Ago by Dani: Formatting fixed

i did have the same problem,in vb with access.but list1.list(list1.listindex) didnt work at all. btw, wat does listdata refer to....please let me know

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.