banzai22 0 Newbie Poster

Hello all, I'm Abel from Ethiopia, first time poster and hopefully a long term member. Let me get to my question and will introduce myself in another thread.

I was given an Information Retrieval assignment and was asked to implement a simple version of an n-Gram. We have yet to cover this material and we're suppose to do our own research (every group of students got a different subject). The bad news is I can't find anything on it on the web nor any e-books I can get my hands on. (The download connection is very slow so I'm limited to e-books that are already downloaded.)

Many sites describe an n-gram as a tool for language detection but what I want is a description to n-gram for Information Retrieval. According to my instructor, the program I'm designing should read from a text file and find similarities. I've got a pretty good idea for how I'll do that using Visual Basics dot Net by implementing some type of list and frequency counter. But I don't want to miss the point of using 'n-Gram'.

So if anyone can describe to me how n-Gram works to find similarities I would really appreciate it.