How did you learn Java? I just watched the basic and intermediary video tutorials from thenewboston.com and I'm still not 100 percent. I've moved onto the android application development tutorials which deals with a lot of java, and I still don't totally understand it. It started off with a bunch of logic which I enjoyed. As he moved towards GUI, it just turned into a lot of memorization of the built in methods that are part of java. Does this sound familiar?

Other than that, how did you guys learn Java? Any particular video tutorials? A PDF guide? School?

I'm a senior in college and I want to get a job in programming and I'm worried about how good I actually have to be for them to hire me. I majored in IT instead of computer science (first mistake right there,) so I'm trying to catch up by getting as good as I can in a single programming language.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I started with C++ and did relatively well, but I still didn't understand most of the concepts. I then switched schools and learned Java, it was much easier to pick up, but the more advanced stuff is tough for me.

I learned through books, Internet research, and school. I have one year of college left and I know for sure I am nowhere near good enough to make programming my profession. Luckily I landed a job as a generic IT guy which will give me some non-programming experience in my field.

I'm also worried about what I'll do once I'm finished my schooling. One year is not long enough for me to become fluent in either C++ or Java. My advice for both myself and you would be to program outside of school, when you have free time. Just make up some projects in your head and work on them. Experience is key, the more you do it the better you will understand it.

How did you learn Java? I just watched the basic and intermediary video tutorials from thenewboston.com and I'm still not 100 percent. I've moved onto the android application development tutorials which deals with a lot of java, and I still don't totally understand it. It started off with a bunch of logic which I enjoyed. As he moved towards GUI, it just turned into a lot of memorization of the built in methods that are part of java. Does this sound familiar?

Other than that, how did you guys learn Java? Any particular video tutorials? A PDF guide? School?

I'm a senior in college and I want to get a job in programming and I'm worried about how good I actually have to be for them to hire me. I majored in IT instead of computer science (first mistake right there,) so I'm trying to catch up by getting as good as I can in a single programming language.

Best way to get better and understand what you are doing is instead of watching videos on youtube is to actual do examples in practice. This will allow you to get a concept of what you are doing so you then understand what you are doing.

Here are a few topics that you should learn and put into practice just of the top of my head:

1. Variables & IO
2. Methods
3. Decisions & selections
4. Objects and Classes
5. GUI's
6. Auxiliary Classes
7. Loops & repetition
8. Arrays
9. Inheritance

looking at the sticky thread on top of the java forum could help you out. it's purpose is to show what books/ ... can help you start with (learning) java.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.