Please help me check c++ flowchart and pseudocode

The source code files can be downloaded from here :- http://www.4shared.com/rar/jw-wLOJZ/Project.html

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

First off, it would have made much more sense to attach the files to the message itself (using the Files menu item in the Daniweb editor window), rather than expect others to go to a different site - one which requires a log in - and download a compressed file, sight unseen. Just something to take note of.

Second, you don't really say what you want us to do to help you. This kind of open-ended question rarely gets a satisfactory answer here, simply because it's hard to tell what you really are looking for yourself. If you could be a bit more explicit, we'd be able to help a lot more effectively.

Third, what does this code have to do with C++? The psuedo-code doesn't particularly resemble C++ (or any other modern language), and you don't say whether the intent is to translate it into C++ later or what have you. Could you tell us some more about your goals with this project?

Finally, a lot of the younger members are probably unfamiliar with flowcharts; they are generally considered obsolete, as they are too low level to reflect modern program structure. If this is for a class assignment, then you don't have much choice, to be sure; OTOH, and IMAO, a professor who still uses flowcharts in this day and age probably ought to be enjoying their retirement rather than foisting these questionable tools on a new generation of programmers. For the most part, flowcharts aren't likely to help much with programming in C++.

Finally, a lot of the younger members are probably unfamiliar with flowcharts; they are generally considered obsolete,

Really? When did this happen? What superseded it -- at least from a student standpoint?

Eh? It was already true when I started learning programming, back in the mid-1980s. I've only known two instructors to use them: one was a high school gym teacher who had been enlisted into teaching AppleSoft BASIC some time around 1984, while the other was (and presumably still is) a tenured professor who seemed to make his mission to make C++ as much like FORTRAN IV as humanly possible. I have never seen flowcharts in use in any other courses, nor from any textbook written after the Carter administration.

While flowcharts fit unstructured languages like Fortran and older forms of BASIC, they make for at best an awkward fit for anything that is block structured, and in particular, they don't represent while loops very well at all (they tend to come out as tail test - that is, do/while - rather than while), and they tend to break down when describing recursive processes. However, even in courses teaching unstructured languages (e.g., assembly), flowcharts are mostly forgotten.

As for what replaced them, they weren't so much replaced as simply abandoned, as far as I can tell, along with HIPO charts, railroad diagrams, and most other diagramming methods. Most students I've known don't use any sort of visual representation of code until they start into OO design, at which point they get UML (and damn little by way of explanation); that, plus FMA diagrams if they take a compiler course, are pretty much it these days, AFAICT.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.