Good day guys! I am recently developing an attendance monitoring system using a webcam. I have successfully downloaded some sample programs how to make a webcam application in vb.net primarily using avicap. I tried to apply it on my program. The code seems fine but everytime i run the code, picturebox is unable to preview image from webcam. It turns black although it can save snapshot from the cam. I am using visual studio 2008 professional edition, windows 7 ultimate 32 bit. When i run it from windows xp, it previews the image from the webcam without any error. Hope u can give solution to my problems. I need it badly. thank you. Hope u reply.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

If the api you are using targets the WIA api on windows XP systems, it will not work on Vista or any machine afterwards.

From my experiences with WIA, the function calls from WIA 1.6 to 2.0 is a small jump. I have seen that alot of the types are the same, just called differently.

You might want to research targeting different platforms, and compiling your projects with the needed libraries to work on those platforms.

As always, Microsoft's documentation of WIA is poor. ( to say the best ) You will be working with Interopt. I have managed to find a small library that is open source (of all places I found it on youtube! ) that can be used on Vista, 7, 8? machines.

You can find it Click Here

This library uses both TWAIN and WIA and will do what you are looking for. It will take a little "elbow grease" but it will work out in the end.

P.S. Don't get discouraged, it took me about 2-3 months of research to start to understand imaging API's.

thank you for your help. I will try your suggestion.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.