Member Avatar for I_m_rude

Can i allocate memory to an array of it or char using malloc ? if yes, then why is it so ? And if no then also why ? I am confused a little bit. thanks in advance to james sir ;)

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Yes, you can use malloc() to allocate a simulated array of int or char. What were you trying to do that prompted this question?

no, what i am tryong to ask is that if there is an array of

char s[100]={0};

s=malloc(sizeof(char)*20);

is it valid to do so ? But why is it valid ? because s is an array already.

is it valid to do so ?

No, it's not valid. Arrays are not pointers, they're arrays. You can use malloc() and a pointer to fake an array, but it's not natively an array. Likewise, in many cases an array will be converted into a pointer, but it's not natively a pointer.

but in initial post, u said u can so ? why ?

but in initial post, u said u can so ? why ?

Obviously I didn't understand your question.

:'( sir, if i allocate memory to a pointer and make it an array , then is it now an array ? means it is just same like an array ?

if i allocate memory to a pointer and make it an array , then is it now an array ?

No, but it can largely be used to simulate an array.

what simulate means here ?

It's a fake. It acts like an array for the most part, but isn't an array. Have you considered looking up the definition of "simulate"? That's exactly what it means here.

Can you reply on my thread "request to daniweb members" ? it's a request. If you ill do, that will motivate others. thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.