hi i have a datgrid bound using a dataenvironment and i need to filter it using specific fields

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

What code do you have so far? If any code, where do you get errors?

None so far the grid works but i need to filter it. I've also tried binding it with adodc but when i run it it tells me syntax error with FROM clause.

What is your field names, which fields needs to be filtered, what do you want to achieve with filtered data? Which database are you using, access, mysql?

Basically you need to show data once you returned a record from an Sql statement and then bind the grid to the recordset.

We will need some more info before we can show you in the right direction.

i have the following fields ID, membership ID , name,video,video code and dateborrowed.
i am developing a system for a video lending club so i need to filter the table using th ID field to display only records borrowed by a specific member. Or instead of the datagrid i could use a code that counts the records with similar IDs.

this is an example of what i hav so far in the fieldsID: A100,A103,A102,A101,A104,A100 each code refers to specific person in the database. The repeated codes means that the person has more than one video or atleast it shows the number of videos one has but i still need it in actual numeric figures.

and i.m using access .mdb

Ok, I'm gonna "push" you in the right direction which will help you tremendously in the future. We are going to drop data controls, they are to say the least stupid and useless for proper data manipulation.

First, in your app, click on Project -->> References in your menu bar. Select Microsoft Active x Data Objects .... whichever newest version you have. select the 6.0 backcompat library if you have it, will ensure your app runs in all windows versions.

At the top of your code page, add ...

Option Explicit

In your Form Load event, add the following...

Dim sConn As String
Dim oConn As New ADODB.Connection
Dim oRs As New ADODB.Recordset

On Error GoTo ErrFailed

sConn = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & App.Path & "\MyDatabaseNameHere.mdb"

oConn.Open sConn
    oRs.Open "SELECT * FROM MyTableNameHere WHERE ID ='A100' ORDER BY [Membership ID] DESC", oConn, adOpenKeyset, adLockOptimistic

''Try to move away from split naming conventions - Membership ID to membershipid will save you tons of headaches...

If oRs.EOF = False Then
        ''There are records available to show...
        ''Add code here to manipulate your data.

datagrid.Datasource = oRs
    End If

oRs.Close
    oConn.Close

Exit Sub

ErrFailed:
    MsgBox "Error " & Err.Description

Only a pleasure. :)

Did this solve your problem?

thanx u were a real help.

Only a pleasure. Please mark this as solved, thanx. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.