OK, I've exhausted my searching, so if someone can point me to a link with a good example, that would be super.

I'm simply trying populate a combobox with data from an Access table (it's a simple contact list with Name and Number). Every example I find and try, I get something that goes wrong. I can get the table imported with a SINGLE column, but need both columns displayed with the selected choice being the number column.

Sub FillComboBox()
        Dim con As OleDbConnection = New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=contacts.accdb")
        Dim cmd As OleDbCommand = New OleDbCommand("SELECT * FROM ContactData ORDER BY ContactName ASC", con)
        con.Open()
        Dim sdr As OleDbDataReader = cmd.ExecuteReader
        While sdr.Read()
            cbo_To.Items.Add(sdr.Item("ContactName").ToString)
        End While

con.Close()
        con = Nothing
 End Sub

I can concatenate with something like cbo_To.Items.Add(sdr.Item("ContactName").ToString + " " + sdr.Item("ContactNumber".ToString)), but I really only want the Number in the field.

Thanks

Use a datatable to bind your combobox to and set display and value members:

Dim conn As New OleDb.OleDbConnection("Your string here")
    Dim comm As New OleDb.OleDbCommand
    Dim table As New DataTable
    Dim data As New OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter
    comm.Connection = conn
    comm.CommandText = "select id,  id & ' ' &  test as test from Table1 "
    data.SelectCommand = comm
    data.Fill(table)

ComboBox1.DisplayMember = "test"
    ComboBox1.ValueMember = "id"

ComboBox1.DataSource = table

When you want to use the number (id in my example) you can like this: MsgBox(ComboBox1.SelectedValue) and you can get whatever user is seeing like this: MsgBox(ComboBox1.Text)

Thank you very much Adam. That works nearly perfectly. I tried it and it gives me exactly what I was looking for. I can certainly get by with what you provided.

The only thing is, the multicolumn part of it isn't as "neat" as I would like to see. I think Jim is correct that you need a class or some other way to do neat looking multiple columns. I found this link: Click Here which is the look that I want, however, I'm going to look for other examples to see if it can be incorporated into the code you gave me.

Thanks again!

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.