Ok...I think this can be done in Java but I have no clue how. What I want is a small application for Windows XP that would make it so that if a user clicks shutdown (from the start menu or from the welcome page) it will as for the correct password (which would need to be able to be reset) and I could manage little things like that and it would be availble through the System Tray (next to the time). I have no clue where to start with this and don't know any of the coding...where should I start?

-Computerpros

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

You'd be better off writing that sort of thing in C++ or Delphi with maybe some Assembler code as well.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

>You'd be better off writing that sort of thing in C++ or Delphi with maybe some Assembler code as well.

Can you even use windows commands from java? Like shutdown,'n' stuff?

[edit]
Just found this

I guess java is just accessing the commands for shut-down, which are platform specific anyway?

Sorry to hijack this thread with a different question altogether :-)
[/edit]

You could call shutdown-a, but it's not going to automatically restrict it for you.

So then...can this be coded in Java or not?? Let me know so that I can post in another board if nessesary.

-Computerpros

I am pretty sure you cannot. Trying to intercept the shutdown call,
seems to me, to be a pretty system-level function, and Java is not
intended, or designed, for that type of functionality.

>What I want is a small application for Windows XP that would make it so that if a user clicks shutdown (from the start menu or from the welcome page) it will as for the correct password (which would need to be able to be reset)

This sounds more like a windows hack anyway.

>What I want is a small application for Windows XP that would make it so that if a user clicks shutdown (from the start menu or from the welcome page) it will as for the correct password (which would need to be able to be reset)

This sounds more like a windows hack anyway.

So then...can this be coded in Java or not?? Let me know so that I can post in another board if nessesary.

-Computerpros

How about doing your own research?

Thanks guys...:rolleyes:

-Computerpros

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.