Hello,

I think my problem is a simple one (but probably isn't) and something that I have foolishy overlooked. I have created a class (Time) with a constructor that has as its argument a 3x3 int array. It is defined in a header file as follows:

public:
Time(int [][columns]); //constructor

private:
int array[rows][columns];

In my program, the constructor is used to initialize the array to all 0's:

Time::Time(int array[][columns]) //time constructor
{
  for (int i=0; i<rows; i++)
    {  
      for (int j=0; j<columns; j++)
        array[i][j] = 0;
    }
}

Finally, under main() I attempt to instantiate object t of class Time and then use that object to call member functions (t.doMath(array), etc...)

Time t(array)

It is here that I run into problems. I get the following error:

`array' undeclared (first use this function)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Contributors
Replies
Views
10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by server_crash

I get the following error:

`array' undeclared (first use this function)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As the message says, how and where do you define array? (The one inside the class does not count.)

Sir,

First, thank you for your response.

Second, I was under the assumption that if an array (or variable) was declared public in the class definition that one was not required to declare it again in main(). I see now that assumption was incorrect.

Correct me if I am wrong here: only those arrays/variables explicitly passed to a class defined member function can be placed into either public or private. All other arrays/variables must be declared in main() - or such as the case may be. Is that correct?

Correct me if I am wrong here: only those arrays/variables explicitly passed to a class defined member function can be placed into either public or private. All other arrays/variables must be declared in main() - or such as the case may be. Is that correct?

Members of the class are members of the class, you don't pass a member into the class. Perhaps some initializer for a member is passed.

It would seem that you don't want to pass any parameters to your constructor.

const int rows = 3;
const int columns = 4;

class Time
{
   int array[rows][columns];
public:
   Time();
};

Time::Time()
{
   for ( int i = 0; i < rows; ++i )
   {
      for ( int j = 0; j < columns; ++j )
      {
         array[i][j] = 0;
      }
   }
}

int main()
{
   Time t();
   // ...
}

Variables may be declared in a variety of scopes: in a function such as main, at file scope (a "global"), dynamically allocated via a pointer, or within block scope (such as a for statement).

[edit]Gah! Let's make a little change to main, too.
http://parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/ctors.html#faq-10.2

int main()
{
   Time t;
   // ...
}

Passing arrays is always a pain. I like how Dave just kept it in the public member section... Works out easier that way.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.