I'm 11 years old and I'm absouloutly LOVE programming. I'm learning C++, but I heard that C++ is used for creating games. Where can I learn game development online for free.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Here is some info.

I'm 11 years old

So you lied when you signed up?

From our Terms of Service:

In compliance with the U.S. Coppa Act, no one under the age of thirteen (13) is permitted to register on these forums. If someone under the age of 13 does register, it is understood that they are doing so against DaniWeb's policies and without DaniWeb's knowledge.

commented: Don't know why this was downvoted - a sulking 11-year-old? :) +5

I heard that C++ is used for creating games.

That's certainly correct; a lot of game development out there is done in C++. Just keep in mind that it's not the only language you can use to develop games and in a decade or so when you're comfortable with developing games in C++ and get bored, you could try out game dev in other languages :)

najiawad0: you answer in wrong place, but thanks for the vote ;)
you tell me that you love programming, in these case, the C++ and that you use mac. my question is: what IDE you use now?

commented: I use Xcode for C++ +0

Does anyone know if ubuntu is good for programming? Is it good for game development?

i never use ubuntu. so i let for another person ;)

Ubuntu, like most Linux distributions, is great for programming. Fundamentally, Linux is an OS by programmers, for programmers (even though it has gotten very user-friendly for anyone else too, now). I tend to prefer Kubuntu (the KDE version of Ubuntu), as it is a bit more development-oriented, and the nativeness of Qt on it makes it all that much easier.

Is it good for game development?

Sort of. It is a good platform for a few reasons. First, it is a great platform for programming in general (game or otherwise). Second, game programming relies on either DirectX or OpenGL, and in Linux, OpenGL is available and generally up-to-date (but DirectX is Windows-only). Third, third-party libraries are very easy to install and use in Ubuntu, which is crucial to speed up the development of your games. Fourth, Linux is a Unix-like environment similar to Mac OSX, meaning that porting your game to Mac platforms will be easy.

However, it isn't a good platform for a couple of reasons. First, game development can often involve using a game engine (a library of code that does a lot of the ground-work for you) which are most widely available in Windows, but still, the majority (about 60%, I would say) are available in Linux too. Second, if you want to distribute your game, Windows would probably be your target, not Linux, but still, you could develop the game mostly in Linux, and only port it to Windows once you have a complete product.

Does anyone know if ubuntu is good for programming?

It depends on what you're programming. For the most part, programming something in Linux is simpler than programming it in Windows, just because libraries are handled by a package manager rather than having to go through the tedious process of manually copy/pasting includes and libs directories.

That being said, if you're using a Windows-only library like DirectX, you may be SOL on Linux.

Is it good for game development?

If you don't want an audience to play your games, sure.

I'm really sorry, najiawad0, but I had to ban your account because you stated you are under 13. Legally, we cannot allow you to post.

Here are a few websites where you may register and begin learning C++ programming.

1. Udemy
  2. Learn to code
  3. Code Academy
  4. Coursera
  5. Code Avengers
commented: Please stop posting to long-dead threads. +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.