It's been a long while since I've been here. I am trying to use Win32 IEAutomation to automate IE to login to SharePoint, read some information, download some files and some other junk. I installed WIN32 IEAutomation. When I run the simple script:

use Win32::IEAutomation;
my $ie = Win32::IEAutomation->new( visible => 1, maximize => 1);

I get "Could not start AutoItX3 Control through OLE". I have googled this and all of the solutions that I can find don't work. I modified WinClicker to specify where the AutoItX3.dll is - no go. I installed all of AutoIt - no go. I mannually registered the AutoItX3.dll - no go.

Anyone done this? Anyone know how I can get this to work?

Thanks in advance,

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

No good news here... I did some searching with Google and discovered that Win32::IEAutomation does not appear to work with any version of IE after 8.0. Apparently MS changed the OLE interface which broke IEAutomation and it has not been corrected.

There is a similar module Win32::IE::Mechanize which was intended to do the same thing and it is likewise broken on newer versions of IE. (See

Thanks. I found the same thing. I had to implement a web-services based work around which is probably better than the IE scraping deal anyway. Thanks again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, learning, and sharing knowledge.