Private WithEvents tim As New System.Timers.Timer
    Public Delegate Sub doSub()
    Private thingToDo As doSub

Public Sub TimeOut(ByVal d As doSub, ByVal milliseconds As Integer)
        thingToDo = d
        tim.AutoReset = False
        tim.Interval = milliseconds
        tim.Start()
    End Sub

Private Sub tim_Elapsed(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Timers.ElapsedEventArgs) Handles tim.Elapsed
        Invoke(thingToDo)
    End Sub
    Private Sub WBTimeOut()

Me.Finalize()

Me.Dispose()

End Sub

Here is an example. It is mostly working fine, but after it's dispose often I will get invoke error (not sure why) :/ (not sure why, sometimes it will work 100 times and sometimes it will fail on first disposale...

Is there any other better method to implement timeout ?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

how about thread.sleep(TIME)

Hmm I've tried background worker and timeout.

After a few repetitions for some reason it fails :/

Timeout starts with opening of new form, after 15 seconds if not completed it closes it and starts again. Unfortunately after few times it will show that it run out of time in 1-2 seconds after form is created and timer started.

I'm not sure if backgroundworker isn't disposing along with form or something.

What you want is for a form to open, wait 15 seconds, and if not submitted, close and open the same form again?

Why not just

Public Class Form1

Private CountDown As Integer

Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

CountDown = 15
        Timer1.Interval = 1000
        Timer1.Start()

End Sub

Private Sub Timer1_Tick(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles Timer1.Tick

CountDown -= 1

If CountDown > 0 Then
            Me.Text = CountDown
        Else
            Me.Text = "timer expired"
            'add call to custom sub here
            Timer1.Stop()
        End If

End Sub

Private Sub btnReset_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnReset.Click
        Me.Text = CountDown
    End Sub

End Class

It needs to be done from inside of opened form, in addition there is more timeouts in form which are started by code inside of form. Timeout won't always end up with closing form.

There is:

if XXX 
    Timeout1
end if

if XXY 
    Timeout2
end if

in Timeout1 
    If _shouldclose = true than
    me.close
    end if

etc.

I've tried threads but it keeps refusing to reopen form due to:

An error occurred creating the form. See Exception.InnerException for details. The error is: ActiveX control '----' cannot be instantiated because the current thread is not in a single-threaded apartment.

Form with timeouts is run in loop until job is finished, but form with work has to automatically finish in case of XXX/YYY and timeout has to start after action AAA/BBB.

Any solution I tries is failing, I tried bacrkground worker but for some reason is not working properly after few re-opens/closes of form (timeout sudennly from 90seconds jumps to 2 seconds, I think it has something to do with usage of a delay in a lot of different places and maybe it is just using same class ??)

are you handling your error by
Try
Catch
End Try ?

I don't see the problem. You can have multiple timers with custom code for each.

Ok guys.

I used Thread.Sleep (I had to remove ShowDialog and replace it with Dialog and flag to proceed with code after Dialog is closed, add Invoke for endform sub (I couldn't close it from thread sub).

Seems to be working perfectly fine :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.