Instruction: You must use pointers for this lab. No arrays, no structures. For example, if you
need an array of floats to hold the scores, do not use float score. Rather use float score,
then use dynamic memory allocation to hold required memory. You must use memory
optimally, that is if you have only 6 scores, you must point to a memory chunk of
Similarly, to hold a name, instead of doing it with 2D char arrays, use 2D pointers (char
firstName → char **firstName).
Write a menu based program to maintain student records. Your program should take the following
1. Student first name (max. 20 characters)
2. Student last name, (max. 20 characters)
3. Student scores (float/double), eg. 85.4
Your program should be able to take records of a minimum of 5 students. After taking the records,
you should provide 8 functionalities to the user.
1. Print records – prints records of all students
2. Add a new record – take a new record from the user for a new student. Be careful, you may need
to allocate more memory using dynamic memory allocation.
3. Delete record(s) – to delete a record, ask for the last name of the student from the user. If there
are multiple students with same last name, you must delete all of their records. You must free up the
memory holding these records.
4. Search by last name – prints record of the student with a given last name. If there are multiple
students with the same last name, print records for all of them.
5. Sort by score – sort the records of students according to their scores, and then print the sorted
6. Sort by last name – sort the records of students according to their names alphabetically, and then
print the sorted records.
7. Find the median score – compute the median score and print it. Also, print how many students are
above this median score.
8. Exit the program – terminate on a specific input from the user. Let that specific input be an
integer of value 0.
You should print the record in the following format:
First Name: firstname 1, Last Name: lastname 1, Score: score 1
First Name: firstname 2, Last Name: lastname 2, Score: score 2
You should write each functionality from 1-7 in separate functions. You should provide a menu to
the user as following:
Please indicate number of records you want to enter (min 5):
After user gives the number of records, you should inform the user how to enter the records:
Please input records of students (enter a new line after each record), with following format
first name last name score
After user gives the inputs for the records, inform the user about the functionalities:
Print records (press 1)
Add a new record (press 2)
Delete record(s) (press 3)
Search by last name (press 4)
Sort by score (press 5)
Sort by last name (press 6)
Find median score (press 7)
Exit the program (press 0)
After user chooses a functionality, your program performs that and provides this menu again to
select another functionality. This goes on until user presses 0.