Hello, I am looking for a tutor to teach me how to make games in java.
Im not technically new to programming, I know the basic syntax from previous programming knowledge, I just need help on what function do what, etc, and any little thing java must have... :p

I will probably lose this link, lol, so please IM me via:

remove the " <> "

<SNIPPED>

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

The most important thing you need is a concept; then play around with java (use borland jbuilder or another context-helpful IDE), read the very, very basics to find out about the syntax. once you've done that, you just need to map your concept into objects that can interact to bring your concept into reality.

Depending on the style of games you're after, you may need to download and learn abit about 3D graphics and 3D programming. Java has an optional extension, Java3D, which is pretty simple and powerful enough for most situations.

Often, the hardest thing to do is to make the objects interact effectively (effective meaning quickly and without error) without restricting the potential for expandability, it's best to try and build up some good libraries that you can use to make a game than jump straight in and attempt to write your own hypercomplex game.

The next most difficult thing is getting your, now perfectly perfect, pieces of abstract code onto a medium that can be viewed by the user, it helps if you write your libraries with a visual representation always in mind, it can ruin an otherwise perfect structure to have to write-in layered 2d painting or 3d object manipulation routines; java3d uses a good structure for its objects anyway, so use that structure; or write a structure that complements it.

So, in order:

- Learn java syntax while thinking up a concept, often the concept will take alot of beating into shape, dependant on what you think you can use from the development language.
- Read the java api documentation all the time, I don't know the address directly, but type "sun java api" in google and it'll hopefully be the first link, it gives alot of insight into every aspect of the java and java3d packages, and is totally essential.

- Write libraries/packages/classes to get graphics for the game onto the screen, making sure that objects in the libraries can take and pass properties between each other in a well structured and reusable way. In my development engines I write the "game objects" into their graphical display objects (or vice versa) 99% of the time.

- Set up interaction between objects; this must be finite and accessible, there are alot of interaction methods, this is probably one of the biggest, and definately the most important, decisions you'll have to take as a programmer. There are some things in Java3D called Behaviours, and some "native" object/collision detection" handlers; I've never used them, and I know from specification that they're not perfect, but they seem quite useful.

- A game needs objectives, you'll have to think of a good way of getting an abstract objective into a finite block of code., In my game libraries; I use context-dependant interaction very heavily, so my objectives system should map into that quite well. Incidently, I've been developing that package for about 6 months in Java, and i'm at this stage right now. Check out videos of the package in action at http://www.fusiongroupuk.com (the site is a forum; go to the ESys Demos board in the FusionGames category). That library will be available for download sometime when it's more complete; it's extendable/customizable and will be free for personal use.

- Figure out a deployment system to get your game from IDE to someone elses screen. This can take some time, and is why I just entered this board, you can either deliver the game to peoples computers, or host it on a server for people to connect and play; either way, you can't just give out java class files and hope your user knows what to do with them. That's less of a consideration when you're just starting out though, I'd say java is quite good for all aspects of game programming, people harp on about C++ being the wiser choice, but unless you're writing for games consoles, write in java; the working speed is comparable and you're target audience won't just be Windows/Intel PCs.

And that concludes.

Matt

Hello, I am looking for a tutor to teach me how to make games in java.
Im not technically new to programming, I know the basic syntax from previous programming knowledge, I just need help on what function do what, etc, and any little thing java must have... :p

I will probably lose this link, lol, so please IM me via:

remove the " <> "

AIM: dippindots <> rule12
MSN: chikenatemy <> donuts@loganoth.com
E-Mail: magic <> 6566@yahoo.com

In case you comeback looking for a Personal Java Tutor.
<URL SNIPPED>

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.