Hi Maam and Sir.
I need your expertise on vb.net.
I have two data grid with database on their own. I want to copy/update the data from one database to another.
The data grid have product codes and prices. I want to copy/update only the prices from the first data grid or vice versa.
Also I have checked boxes so i can select more to copy or update.
Please help me. I attached the screenshot of my data grid.
Thank you.
ask.PNG

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Here's the deal. vb.net can use quite a few databases so you need to share more. My last setup was for MySQL for the database server since we wanted to scale up.

Your question is also, not one but a few. Break it down to a few questions along with what database you are using.

-> As to updating one database from another, here that's a spin on the old question I placed in this google.
https://www.google.com/search?q=sql+update+rows+from+another+database

Now about your checkmark version, that would not be the update from another database by code written by you to respond to the button click and do the work. In otherwords, another question as I read your post.

@rproffitt.
Hi Sir. I use MySql for the database. I just want the checked items from one datagrid(dbFirst) to be updated to another datagrid(dbSecond). They have the same product codes. I just want the price to be updated when I select the checked boxes and click the >> button.
Thank you Sir for the immediate response. :)
ask.PNG

Then you need to write code to respond to your button click. Said code will find what was clicked and update just those rows. This is your code to write.

I do know folk that make screens like yours which doesn't take much code at all if any but to get what you want done, it's time to write code.

If product names are really the same in both datagridview, i.e., no need to add rows:

Dim us As New Globalization.CultureInfo("en-US")
    Function parseN(value As String, ByRef result As Double) As Boolean
        Return Double.TryParse(value, Globalization.NumberStyles.Any, us, result)
    End Function

Private Sub btnCopyLeftToRight_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnCopyLeftToRight.Click
        CopyDGV(DataGridViewLeft, DataGridViewRight)
    End Sub
    Private Sub btnCopyRightToLeft_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnCopyRightToLeft.Click
        CopyDGV(DataGridViewRight, DataGridViewLeft)
    End Sub
    Sub CopyDGV(source As DataGridView, destination As DataGridView)
        Try
            With source
                Dim colChk As Int32 = -1
                For col As Int32 = 0 To .Columns.Count - 1
                    If .Columns(col).GetType Is GetType(DataGridViewCheckBoxColumn) Then
                        colChk = col
                        Exit For
                    End If
                Next
                If colChk = -1 Then
                    MessageBox.Show("Found no checkbox column.")
                    Exit Sub
                End If
                Dim vcolNames() As String = {"p_code", "deal_price", "unit_price", "unit_amt"}
                Dim vcolIndex() As Int32 = {-1, -1, -1, -1}
                For col As Int32 = 0 To .Columns.Count - 1
                    Dim colName As String = LCase(.Columns(col).Name)
                    Dim pos As Int32 = Array.IndexOf(vcolNames, colName)
                    If pos > -1 Then
                        vcolIndex(pos) = col
                    End If
                Next
                For i As Int32 = 0 To vcolIndex.Length - 1
                    If vcolIndex(i) = -1 Then
                        MessageBox.Show("Found no source column for " + vcolNames(i))
                        Exit Sub
                    End If
                Next
                For row As Int32 = 0 To .Rows.Count - 1
                    Dim chk As DataGridViewCheckBoxCell = .Rows(row).Cells(colChk)
                    If chk.Value Then
                        ' verify p_code:'
                        Dim pcode = .Rows(row).Cells(vcolIndex(0)).Value
                        If pcode Is DBNull.Value Then
                            MessageBox.Show("Source p_code is null at line #" + (row + 1).ToString)
                            Exit Sub
                        End If
                        Dim pCodeB = destination.Rows(row).Cells(vcolIndex(0)).Value
                        If pCodeB Is DBNull.Value Then
                            MessageBox.Show("Destination p_code is null at line #" + (row + 1).ToString)
                            Exit Sub
                        End If
                        If pcode <> pCodeB Then
                            MessageBox.Show("Source and dest. p_code differ at line #" + (row + 1).ToString)
                            Exit Sub
                        End If
                        Dim dealp, uprice, uamt As Double
                        With .Rows(row)
                            If Not parseN(.Cells(vcolIndex(1)).Value, dealp) OrElse _
                            Not parseN(.Cells(vcolIndex(2)).Value, uprice) OrElse _
                            Not parseN(.Cells(vcolIndex(3)).Value, uamt) Then
                                MessageBox.Show("Error parsing numbers at line #" + (row + 1).ToString)
                                Exit Sub
                            End If
                        End With
                        destination.Rows(row).Cells(vcolIndex(1)).Value = dealp.ToString(us)
                        destination.Rows(row).Cells(vcolIndex(2)).Value = uprice.ToString(us)
                        destination.Rows(row).Cells(vcolIndex(3)).Value = uamt.ToString(us)
                    End If
                Next
            End With
        Catch ex As Exception
            MessageBox.Show(ex.ToString)
        End Try

End Sub
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.