if you have read or use Learn C++ in 24hours is it a good book to learn formor object oriented Programming in c++ is that a good book to learn OBJECT oriented programing to learn graphics...

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

if you have read or use Learn C++ in 24hours is it a good book to learn form or is it a pile of paper to burn?...

or object oriented Programming in c++ is that a good (graphics) bbok?

You should be really ashamed of yourself saying such a stmt.

There is no such thing as good or bad book, its only the target audience that changes. Learn C++ in 24 hrs is a good book for all those who want to know the basics of C++ so that they can move on to more advanced concepts.

And do u weigh whether a book is good or bad dependign on the graphics ? Come on man u got to be joking !!!

You should be really ashamed of yourself saying such a stmt.

There is no such thing as good or bad book, its only the target audience that changes. Learn C++ in 24 hrs is a good book for all those who want to know the basics of C++ so that they can move on to more advanced concepts.

And do u weigh whether a book is good or bad dependign on the graphics ? Come on man u got to be joking !!!

ok if you read it that way yah i was woundering if the book was good to start graphics programming once i am done whith the basics

(yes im still looking at the big picture BUT im not learning it YET)

sorry for the misunderstanding!

-kbcubs-

im gonna play bf2 i have had way to much for today!....

If you read it, don't assume you'll know C++ in 24 hours; I have learn C++ in 21 days sitting at home somewhere, and I don't really "know" C++. Still, I never finished the book.

But, from that I learnt enough to get a 2D playable demo (was zelda: a link to the past style, with movement, animation and table-based collision detection) up and running within about a week. But I knew quite a bit of DirectX anyway.

Learn C++ in 21 days is quite a sizeable book tho, has quite alot of reference material. I'd say reference material is more important than step-by-step guides in any case, they usually start with "Hello World".. anyway, and if you're running Visual Studio C++; it does "Hello World" for you :P

Look for a book that has an even amount of relevant code examples/explanations and reference material. It'll last you longer and ultimately be more helpful.

Still; learn C++ in 24hours might be the best book ever, I've never read it.

Matt

it is a good book for learning c++ and yes it covers Object Oriented concepts particularly well. What I liked about it is it also explains a little about hardware and memory and analysis and design so it is a very well rounded book giving you all you need to know from a good foundation, rather than taking you systematically through a load of syntax and leaving you to go hang yourself, which with C is all too easy.

It doesn't do graphics but that's an area in itself get a seperate book for that (beginning game programming is a good one, windows specific) as it's nothing to do with C directly anyway (graphics that is).

Hi there,
1.Google everything.
2.Be patient.
3.Concentrate.
4.Don't waste time talking non-sense.
4..................................[fill it with your own info]

A BIT unrelated but don't worry.
Good luck.

C++ Primer 5th Edition Stephan Partason
that's what u should refer.

Thanks everyone! I found the last comment most encouraging. (Untying cyber nuse, climbing down ladder, re situating self in chair to continue to explore fundamentals of C++.) There's hope for me yet!

Correction: Second to last comment *Thumbs up* :)

learning c++ in 24 hours would be like trying to learn women in 24 hours.

Or perhaps "Learn C++ in 24 hours from a thread that is 5 YEARS OLD".

It's remarkable how many threads on DW get dug up on the anniversary of their original post date. I'm convinced the search here doesn't care about years, but latches onto the month and day like some blood-starved leech.

And no, you can't learn C++ in 24 hours, or 21 days, or some other ridiculous time frame. In 24 hours, you'll be able to tell the difference between a C++ program and a hole in the ground, but that's about all. You certainly won't be a competent programmer of anything more substantial than "hello world".

Read this -> http://norvig.com/21-days.html

It is actually a fantastic book. :) Don't expect this to be the only C++ book you will read, keep reading books, articles, reference material, lessons, etc! Read everything you CAN!

he he , you never can learn C++ within 24 hours. I'm joined here many time ago and still learning C++. Just drop that idea first, and concenrate /patience and stop
your mouth and start learning.

As for book for new learner, I recommend you a book naming C++ Primer,which is easy to understand .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.