Everyone knows that usually every Perl program should start with something along the lines of "#!/usr/bin/perl" ... what's often called as "shebang." Anyone know why? I just read this cute post on google...

The exclamation point has been nicknamed "bang" for as long as I can remember. (Back in the uucp days, you would give an email address as "machine1, bang, machine2, bang, machine3, bang..." for "machine1! machine2!machine3!...")

The "#" sign has a knickname of "sharp" (The "#" is used in sheet music to mark "sharp" notes. In the old AT&T Unix, the default INTRUPT key was defined as the "sharp". I imagine that "sharp-bang" was shorted to "shebang" in later years. Shebang is a slang American expression which means the organization or "the works" as in "the whole shebang". qazwart@my-deja.com (qazwart@my-deja.com)

If anyone knows anything more, let me know. =)

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Member Avatar for

I always thought shebang was a corruption of "Hash - Bang" Where # is the hash mark. :roll: :idea: Just my .02

Trey

And to think I'm probably the only gal on the block with a ThinkGeek.com #!/usr/bin/girl t-shirt!

Thinkgeek rules. They have some funny stuff. I don't think I could force myself to wear any of their t-shirts though... not my style. 8)

Hey Dan ... this one is for u:

ya know the binary blanket I have from thinkGeek.com? Well I just took a looksie the other day and saw they have a matching binary pillow! I think I'm going to get it!

That blanket rules. I could carry around that blanket everywhere like Linus.

if the first two bytes of an executable file are #! it is assumed to be a script with the following characters (after #!) as the interpreter. ! is a bang and "she" is just a souped up version of sh (it's pronounced /sh*-bang'/). SH is short for shell script.

Member Avatar for TKSS

And to think I'm probably the only gal on the block with a ThinkGeek.com #!/usr/bin/girl t-shirt!

My chicks dig Linux shirt is nice...of course, my wife won't let me wear it anymore...but she didn't protest when we were engaged :P

i gots a t-shirt its the a penguin peeing on the a butterfly, i drew it took it to my local what is it, like printing shop, or something any way, they put it on a shirt for me its great ..

i gots a t-shirt its the a penguin peeing on the a butterfly, i drew it took it to my local what is it, like printing shop, or something any way, they put it on a shirt for me its great ..

I went to the city the other day and saw a nice collection of custom made t-shirts. I saw one of Tux holding the MS butterfly in a butterfly net. It was ok I guess.

I think my favorite was the one of Gates spraying mace on Tux. LOL. Truly priceless!

i found some awesome backgrounds with the tux if i figure out how to add attachments on here ill post as attachments.(there backgrounds so i dont want to just post them )....:cheesy:

The exclamation point has been nicknamed "bang" for as long as I can remember. (Back in the uucp days, you would give an email address as "machine1, bang, machine2, bang, machine3, bang..." for "machine1! machine2!machine3!...")

In the UK, the bang is called a shriek -- I kind of like that.

GrimJack

I think thinkgeek.com sucks. With all of their mainstream geek shirts, it's making a trendy "geek" stereotype. I mean, imagine a world where little blonde geeks roam around in the latest trendy "geek" car, with geek shirts, shoes, and matching geek accessories! My definition of geek is me in my worn down striped shirt, greasy hair from no shower in three days, and eyes sunken 3 inches into your head from hours of frustration trying to learn the GTK API for C.

My definition of geek is me in my worn down striped shirt, greasy hair from no shower in three days, and eyes sunken 3 inches into your head from hours of frustration trying to learn the GTK API for C.

Sounds just like me during my third year of computer science.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.