Hi guys, back again...You guys were very helpful before and I ended up approaching it a totally different way. I used the mathematical way which is hard to explain but well...it worked so thanks.

Now I am having a problem constructing a program that prompts the user for a name and then displays it backwards. In this, I am excluding spaces so basically....john would be nhoj.

I know I am going to use toCharArray etc...But am i just going to use a for that decreases?

Contributors
Replies
Views
11 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by tknows

Yes, just like what iamthwee said. Loop would work. Store the name in an array variable and use looping statement to loop it backward.

why so hard? There's a method that will let you reverse a string using a single method call ;)

Not going to tell you where to find it, it should be easy if you have the API docs at hand.

Did you not read jwenting's reply directly above yours? Look in the API for a single method call to reverse a String. I will give a small hint, the class is not String but does begin with it.

Hi newbies in java. May i know how to do it without using array?

There is a string method charAt that you can use to do it without arrays.
So:

for(int i = s.length(); i >=0; i--){
    System.out.print(s.charAt(i);
}
System.out.println();

Hi guys, back again...You guys were very helpful before and I ended up approaching it a totally different way. I used the mathematical way which is hard to explain but well...it worked so thanks.

Now I am having a problem constructing a program that prompts the user for a name and then displays it backwards. In this, I am excluding spaces so basically....john would be nhoj.

I know I am going to use toCharArray etc...But am i just going to use a for that decreases?

:mrgreen: If you do a count, you can then print each letter starting from the very last number in your count until your count is 0.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.