In need some homework help again. Please I am new at this and PLEASE PLEASE do not post YELLING post at me for wrapping the code because I don't know what that is. If you would like to explain it to me in plain english I am willing to learn.

Here goes I have to write a program taht uses a for structure to sum a sequence of integers. Assume that the first interger read specifies the number of values remaining to be entered. Here is what I came up with. How do I have the user of the program enter the number of values before the loop. Please help TY Jessie

#include<iostream>
using namespace std;
int main()
{
int i,s=0,x;
for(i=0;i<5;i++)
{
cout<<"Type an integer: ";cin>>x;
s=s+x;
}
cout<<"The sum is : "<<s<<endl;
return 0;
}

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

In need some homework help again. Please I am new at this and PLEASE PLEASE do not post YELLING post at me for wrapping the code because I don't know what that is. If you would like to explain it to me in plain english I am willing to learn.

Here goes I have to write a program taht uses a for structure to sum a sequence of integers. Assume that the first interger read specifies the number of values remaining to be entered. Here is what I came up with. How do I have the user of the program enter the number of values before the loop? Please help TY Jessie

#include<iostream>
using namespace std;
int main()
{
int i,s=0,x;
for(i=0;i<5;i++)
{
cout<<"Type an integer: ";cin>>x;
s=s+x;
}
cout<<"The sum is : "<<s<<endl;
return 0;
}

Thanks

>> and PLEASE PLEASE do not post YELLING post at me for wrapping the code because I don't know what that is

Ok then you need to learn. See the links in my signature which will show you how to do it.

>>a for structure
there is no such thing. What you mean is a for loop. A structure is an entirely different thing.

>>How do I have the user of the program enter the number of values before the loop
just put a prompt above that loop and ask how many integers to you want to enter.

>>for(i=0;i<5;i++)
replace the value '5' with x, which was entered from the above prompt.

This is one way of handling it. Study it and you'll get your head around it. Hope it helps byeee

#include<iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
    int input;
    int i;
    int value;
    int sum=0; // must be initialized with 0

cout << "How many numbers to enter?: ";
    cin >> input;

for (i=1; i<=input; i++)
    {
        cout << "Enter number " << i << ": ";
        cin >> value;
        sum += value;
    }

cout << "Sum is: " << sum << endl;
    return 0;
}
commented: Giving answers again +0

Ask from the user the number of values that he would want to sum up.
Something like:

int max_values = 0 ;
cout << "Enter the max values you want: " ;
cin >> max_values ;

for( i = 0; i < max_values; ++i )
{
   // do all here
}
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.