i am bscit student and i am doing one project. so i want to urjently know how to connect vb6.0 to oracle 9i

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

There are several ways to connect to Oracle 9i from VB 6. You can use a ODBC connection or use ADO (ActiveX Data Objects). For Remote servers, you can also use RDO.

There is no general 'best solution' and the best method for connectivity depends on the particular situation and specifications.

For Connecting via ADO to Oracle, you will need to have either the Oracle 9i Client Software installed in the client machines or create an ODBC data source. I usually prefer having the Oracle client installed, as it avoids having to create ODBCs.

To connect via ADO, you will need to specify the Connection parameters including server name, User Name and Password. The Code is like

Dim ConnString as string
ConnString = "Provider=MSDAORA.1 ; Password=myPassword; User ID=myUser ; Data Source = ORCL; Persist Security Info=True"
'// Where ORCL is the Oracle Service you are trying to connect
Dim objConn as new ADODB.Connection
objConn.open ConnString

This will create a connection to the specified Oracle service, using the user name and password to login.

If you are planning to use ADO, please look up a book or MSDN for explanation of the parameters and how to use them.

Hi Aparnesh thanks for replying.i have oracle 9i installed. actually the project i am doing is a company store management and i have to complete it till feb.and now i am confused whether i should use oracle as a back end or MS-Access.bcoz i have heard that if the connection is not properly set up with oracle then it can create problems.so what should i go for oracle or access?bcoz at the end moment it should not create any problems infront of external. do u have e-mail id . waiting for ur reply.bye

If this is a student project and you are free to use any database you prefer, you should use whichever you are more comfortable with. If this is a commercial project, you should take into consideration how the client will use it, number of concurrent users, expected number of records to be stored etc.

I generally prefer Access for small commercial projects, which run as in a stand-alone machine (for small shop's sales counters, for example). For larger projects or for projects which are designed for multiple users, I use Oracle or mySQL depending on client's budget.

Till now, I haven't really faced any big connection related problems regarding Oracle-ADO-VB scenario. But if you are not familiar/comfortable with Oracle, you must have the assistance/guidance of someone who knows Oracle well. If you do not have any such resource, it would be better not to use Oracle.

Dim ConnString as string
ConnString = "Provider=MSDAORA.1 ; Password=myPassword; User ID=myUser ; Data Source = ORCL; Persist Security Info=True"
'// Where ORCL is the Oracle Service you are trying to connect
Dim objConn as new ADODB.Connection
objConn.open ConnString

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.