Hi!

Up until today I've been writing C with Borland C dos version. Only g-d knows why the school I go to teaches us C on that.
I want to start using MS's Visual Studio and I'm totally lost. It's a whole new enviornment of work. All their tutorials and help is only with C++ and I only know C.

I want to be able to first make a simple program with c that works. Where can I get help on this?

I have a question too:
I want to use functions like "delay" or "gotoxy". Eventhough I include the dos.h header file AND added it into my projects "Header files" the compiler still doesn't recognize those functions.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Ami

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

You will want to create a file with *.c extension and VC will compile it as a c file, not c++. Create a new empty project. Then add a new file, when you give it a file name also specify the *.c extension -- such as myfile.c. How you do all that depends on what version of VC you have. VC++ 6.0 is not the same as VC++ 2005 (the most recent version).

you're trying to create fullscreen DOS applications. AFAIK that's not supported by any reasonably modern compilers don't compile DOS programs anymore.
If they do, you may just need to pick the right target and possibly find the correct counterpart to Borland specific extensions to the standard C API.

Nice link Colin. I just tried it and it worked great.

I have a question too:
I want to use functions like "delay" or "gotoxy". Eventhough I include the dos.h header file AND added it into my projects "Header files" the compiler still doesn't recognize those functions.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Ami

That's right -- VC++ 2005 Express and other 32-bit MS-Windows compilers do not support those header files. gotoxy() is not supported either, but Sleep(int milliseconds) found in windows.h can replace delay() from your old borland compiler.

win32 api has a whole set of console functions that allow you to move the cursor something like you did with gotoxy(). You might want to write your own gotoxy() that is a wrapper for those win32 api functions. See this MSDN entry. There are also a few tutorials on the net -- I don't have them available right now but I can look up the link in about 4 hours or so.

Here is the link I mentioned earlier. It contains some code you can download that demonstrates how to write console program using win32 api functions.

hey guys when I put windows.h I get error saying
"cant find the file"

and I am sure we can use sleep function in place of delay

Here is the link I mentioned earlier. It contains some code you can download that demonstrates how to write console program using win32 api functions.

I am a beginner with microsoft visual studio and so I am lost
because I have always used turbo c++ and I am quite good at
it.

I want to use the delay function,but dont know how
I read somewhere that we can use sleep for that but for
that you need to include <windows.h> and whenever I try to do that
I get error saying file cannot be found

please help

rashid1990

Exactly what version of the compiler are you using? VC++ 2005 Express ? If yes, then you need to download (free) the Windows Software Development Kit (SDK). See these google links for your operating system

And yes, the function you want is Sleep(). And BTW you might as well start right now getting accustomed to searching MSDN because you will need it alot.

Exactly what version of the compiler are you using? VC++ 2005 Express ? If yes, then you need to download (free) the Windows Software Development Kit (SDK). See these google links for your operating system

And yes, the function you want is Sleep(). And BTW you might as well start right now getting accustomed to searching MSDN because you will need it alot.

thanks mate...
I am downloading SDK kit for windows vista
its a .img file and size 1.5 GB
hope it works

If I have problems in the future I know who to go to if you dont mind

Member Avatar for iamthwee

dev-cpp is only like 10mb and has windows.h with it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.