My problem may be very simple.
I want to use a Tkinter window to show informations to the user, so that he could enter his answers to the Python Shell. The problem is that when the Tkinter Window appears, the Python Shell will no longer receive any command before I destroy the Tkinter Window.

This is very unconfortable, cause I would like the user to be able to answer with the proper informations under his eyes.

Can I do something, and What?

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

When you run your Tkinter program, you are running a Windows GUI program and the eventloop of that program will intercept all keyboard and mouse events.

Why can't you let the user enter the answers into a Text widget? It is very hard to mix console and windows programs.

Thank you for your reply.
It is very hard, you say, but is it impossible?
DO you think we can't use the console while there is a Tkinter window opened?

Or is there a special way to open the window so as to keep the console responsive?

Thank you for your reply.
It is very hard, you say, but is it impossible?
DO you think we can't use the console while there is a Tkinter window opened?

Or is there a special way to open the window so as to keep the console responsive?

You can use the module threading to run two programs side by side. However, I am not quite sure how these two programs would communicate with each other.

I think vegaseat is right -- it's much easier to make your program self-contained in the GUI. You can still easily print to the console (for viewing later), or write information to a file.

I guess I just don't see what added functionality you are hoping to get from combining the GUI and the console...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.