I am working as a programmer for a hospital. I want to use barcode scanner in my application. I just want to know how can i provide input to my application which can read the barcode of a particular medicine and accordingly makes necessary updation in the database.

Any One can help me in this or can provide suggestions on this..

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Hi,

When u purchase BarCode Scanner, it Comes with complete Package (Fonts/LabelPrint/ReaderSettings etc..)
What we normally do is, When Purchase, A unique Number is allotted to that medicine/Item.
In Item Printing, "BarCode" font is used for that Unique key.
This label is sticked on the Item.
While Sales, when u shoot the Barode reader Gun on the BarCode Label,
It Reads the Unique Key and u will have to code for that.

Regards
Veena

Hi,

When u purchase BarCode Scanner, it Comes with complete Package (Fonts/LabelPrint/ReaderSettings etc..)
What we normally do is, When Purchase, A unique Number is allotted to that medicine/Item.
In Item Printing, "BarCode" font is used for that Unique key.
This label is sticked on the Item.
While Sales, when u shoot the Barode reader Gun on the BarCode Label,
It Reads the Unique Key and u will have to code for that.

Regards
Veena

I think that Khanayub_Chand was looking for info about how this is implemented in VB. In which event the code is trapped etc.
How to code with readers...

Hi KhanAub and PBVert,

When the cursor is in textbox and u shoot the gun , BarCode Equivalent Text is Displayed in Text Box. and u need to Code in TextBox_LostFocus Event Or textBox_Validate Event ..

Regards
Veena

Hi KhanAub and PBVert,

When the cursor is in textbox and u shoot the gun , BarCode Equivalent Text is Displayed in Text Box. and u need to Code in TextBox_LostFocus Event Or textBox_Validate Event ..

Regards
Veena

Thanks Veena for this valuable info..
I would like to know about different Barcode Scanners which can give me maximum benefit with reasonable cost.
Please throw some light on Barcode Scanner's features and thier costs of aquisition.

Hi KhanAyub,

There are diff types of BarCode Scanners. It all depends on these factors:

Scanning Depth
Scan Speed
Optical Range
Optical System
Handsfree operation
and S/w Packaged with it.

They start from 3000 Rs. But Reasonable Good BarCode Scanners are Somewhere > 5000 Rs.

Regards
Veena

Hi KhanAyub,

There are diff types of BarCode Scanners. It all depends on these factors:

Scanning Depth
Scan Speed
Optical Range
Optical System
Handsfree operation
and S/w Packaged with it.

They start from 3000 Rs. But Reasonable Good BarCode Scanners are Somewhere > 5000 Rs.

Regards
Veena

Veena, Can u explain me how this factors affects the overall performance of a Barcode Scanner. please give an explaination on the above mention Factors

i have honeywell ms9540 barcode reader plz tell me how to connect it to my computer

the barcode will automatically be recognize?

install the software and plug it in. Data coming from the barcode reader appears to your program as if the user had typed it in on the keyboard

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.