I am a beginner in VB. I am trying to make a simple unit converter. Can please some body tell me how can I delete the last character of the number I enter in my inputbox?

thank you

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Take input as a string. Chop of the last character, then convert string to number.

I assume you are putting your input to a textbox. So try this:

TextBox1.Text = InputBox("Enter number")
        TextBox1.Text = TextBox1.Text.Substring(0, TextBox1.Text.Length - 1)

I am a beginner in VB. I am trying to make a simple unit converter. Can please some body tell me how can I delete the last character of the number I enter in my inputbox?

thank you

You also could use the IsNumeric(TextboxName.Text) Then
TextboxName.Text.Length -1 as the other poster stated which will subtract the last number in the textbox

Dim str As string 
str = "Ramy1"
str = str.Remove(str.Length - 1);
' str = Ramy

i think wayne already answered this thread. :D

Yes yes thanks JX :D

I need to remove the last ",-1,-1,-1" from this line

'XXXXXX XXXX `XXXXXXXXXXXX` XXXXX (XXXX,'XX','XXXX','YYYY YYY YYYYYY YYYYY YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.',Y,'YYYYY YY YYYY YYY YYYY XX.XX',X,X,-1,-1,-1)'

Is that a specific example of a more general case?. For example, if the last three fields are always -1,-1,-1 then you just need to replace ",-1,-1,-1)" with ")". However, if the last three fields can take on other values then one solution would be a loop that would look for the last "," and strip off the last field. You could do (for example):

Private Function StripLast(ByVal flds As String, ByVal numflds As Integer) As String

Do While numflds > 0
		flds = flds.Substring(0, flds.LastIndexOf(","))
		numflds -= 1
	Loop

Return flds & ")"

End Function

will return the string with the last given number of fields stripped off. Sample call is:

flds = "YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.',Y,'YYYYY YY YYYY YYY YYYY XX.XX',X,X,-1,-1,-1)"
flds = StripLast(flds,3)

'flds now has the value "YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.',Y,'YYYYY YY YYYY YYY YYYY XX.XX',X,X)"

Is this what you intended?

$string = "Hello Daniweb1234";
$string= substr_replace($string ,"",-4);
echo $string;

--display--
Hello Daniweb

commented: Incorrect and also not relevant -2
  1. This thread is old. Don't revive it.
  2. Your answer has nothing to do with the question.
  3. Your code isn't VB code.
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.