I am a beginner in VB. I am trying to make a simple unit converter. Can please some body tell me how can I delete the last character of the number I enter in my inputbox?

thank you

I assume you are putting your input to a textbox. So try this:

TextBox1.Text = InputBox("Enter number")
        TextBox1.Text = TextBox1.Text.Substring(0, TextBox1.Text.Length - 1)

I am a beginner in VB. I am trying to make a simple unit converter. Can please some body tell me how can I delete the last character of the number I enter in my inputbox?

thank you

You also could use the IsNumeric(TextboxName.Text) Then
TextboxName.Text.Length -1 as the other poster stated which will subtract the last number in the textbox

I need to remove the last ",-1,-1,-1" from this line

'XXXXXX XXXX `XXXXXXXXXXXX` XXXXX (XXXX,'XX','XXXX','YYYY YYY YYYYYY YYYYY YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.',Y,'YYYYY YY YYYY YYY YYYY XX.XX',X,X,-1,-1,-1)'

Is that a specific example of a more general case?. For example, if the last three fields are always -1,-1,-1 then you just need to replace ",-1,-1,-1)" with ")". However, if the last three fields can take on other values then one solution would be a loop that would look for the last "," and strip off the last field. You could do (for example):

Private Function StripLast(ByVal flds As String, ByVal numflds As Integer) As String

Do While numflds > 0
		flds = flds.Substring(0, flds.LastIndexOf(","))
		numflds -= 1
	Loop

Return flds & ")"

End Function

will return the string with the last given number of fields stripped off. Sample call is:

flds = "YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.',Y,'YYYYY YY YYYY YYY YYYY XX.XX',X,X,-1,-1,-1)"
flds = StripLast(flds,3)

'flds now has the value "YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.',Y,'YYYYY YY YYYY YYY YYYY XX.XX',X,X)"

Is this what you intended?

Edited 5 Years Ago by Reverend Jim: n/a

$string = "Hello Daniweb1234";
$string= substr_replace($string ,"",-4);
echo $string;

--display--
Hello Daniweb

Edited 4 Years Ago by Davinder Singh: spelling mistake

Comments
Incorrect and also not relevant
  1. This thread is old. Don't revive it.
  2. Your answer has nothing to do with the question.
  3. Your code isn't VB code.

Edited 4 Years Ago by Reverend Jim

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.