hi
can we deploy setup of sql server express edition along with our own apllication? does any licensing issues come into picture? because express edition is freeware, but when i install it on my client machine then it is asking to accept License agreement.
if it is free then why it is asking for license agreement?

thanx and regards
chaitanya.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

SQL Server Express is "free", free in the meaning that you can download, install, test, personal use without the need to buy that rights. The copyright remain as Microsoft property, so you will need to accept a license agreement before installing because you cannot be able to sell a copy, make commercial software with this application, and another legal issues.

SQL Server Express is "free", free in the meaning that you can download, install, test, personal use without the need to buy that rights. The copyright remain as Microsoft property, so you will need to accept a license agreement before installing because you cannot be able to sell a copy, make commercial software with this application, and another legal issues.

hi,
thanx for your reply. But i have one more problem. If u are using .net then you must know that when we choose(select) "sql server 2005 express" in prerequisite section of "setup and Deployment project"
then VS-2005 gives us that sql-express setup with our application so that our client can install it.
As per u told, if we can't make commercial software with sql-express
server then why they are giving us that setup.exe ??? ( Which will directly get copied to client machine when we install our own application setup.)

thanx and regards.
chaitanya.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.