Reading from text files........I have to read in a file which contains the list of all service calls to be done today, the calls have to be assigned based on how far the area is in the 10X10 grid of the sector, assuming the office is in the middle say, e55! The agent has his level of expertise and his hrs today to keep in mind.

I have no idea where to start...

Everytime i read in a line, it is in string format so I cant manipulate data as integers, as I had hoped... help..

Once you have read the line, parse it. Are the lines the same format? Are the different things associated with a service call separated by commas? If there isn't any "structure" to the service call line then it's more difficult.

Reading from text files........I have to read in a file which contains the list of all service calls to be done today, the calls have to be assigned based on how far the area is in the 10X10 grid of the sector, assuming the office is in the middle say, e55! The agent has his level of expertise and his hrs today to keep in mind.

I have no idea where to start...

Everytime i read in a line, it is in string format so I cant manipulate data as integers, as I had hoped... help..

hmm..... start by getting the app to read a text file ....

Open [I]filename[/I] for Input as 1 'open file
While EOF(1)<>True 'loads data until an End-of File signal displays
Input #1, [[I]your variables separated by commas[/I]] 'read data
Wend
Close 'close the file

and what would be the format of your data?

Everybody thanx so much for your help! I read the line with your simple Line Input and parsed it based on commas separating them!

Hmm... Is vb object-oriented? This must sound a terribly ignorant thing to ask but I really dont know..... hmmm .... more like module oriented????

Everybody thanx so much for your help! I read the line with your simple Line Input and parsed it based on commas separating them!

Hmm... Is vb object-oriented? This must sound a terribly ignorant thing to ask but I really dont know..... hmmm .... more like module oriented????

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.