When data is put into a .txt file, how do you manipulate it and then output it? (If you're wanting to average some items, or add others, etc. once they're entered into the file.)

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by KevinADC

read the file however you want, get the data you want into variables and use the appropriate operators to do the data munging. Where are you stuck?

Here's what I have so far:

print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
use CGI qw(:standard);
use strict;

#variable declarations and input assignments
my ($weekNum, $whichWeek, $homeOrAway, $whereAt, $homeCounter, $AwayCounter, $yourTmScore, $otherTmScore, $passYrdPGame, $rushYrdPGame, 
    $sacks, $sacksAllowed, $turnovForcedPerGame, $turnovAllowedPGame, $tds, $tdsAllowed, $passYrdTotal, $passYrdAvg, $rushYrdTotal, 
    $rushYrdAvg, $sacksTotal, $sacksPerGameAvg, $sacksAllowedTotal, $sacksAllowedAvg, $turnovForcedTotal, $turnovForcedAvg,
    $turnovAllowedTotal, $turnovAllowedAvg,$tdsTotal, $tdsAvg, $tdsAllowedTotal, $tdsAllowedAvg, $wins, $losses, $winPercent, 
    $winPercentHome, $winPercentAway);
$whichWeek = param('weekNum');
$whereAt = param('gamePlayed');
$yourTmScore = param('yourTmScore');
$otherTmScore = param('otherTmScore');
$passYrdPGame = param('passYrdPGame');
$rushYrdPGame = param('rushYrdPGame');
$sacks = param('sacks');
$sacksAllowed = param('sacksAllowed');
$turnovForcedPerGame = param('turnovForcedPerGame');
$turnovAllowedPGame = param('turnovAllowedPGame');
$tds = param('tds');
$tdsAllowed = param('tdsAllowed');

#save to file
open(OUTFILE, ">>","nflStats.txt")
	or die "Error opening nflStats.txt $!, stopped";
print OUTFILE "$whichWeek\n";
print OUTFILE "$whereAt\n";
print OUTFILE "$yourTmScore\n";
print OUTFILE "$otherTmScore\n";
print OUTFILE "$passYrdPGame\n";
print OUTFILE "$rushYrdPGame\n";
print OUTFILE "$sacks\n";
print OUTFILE "$sacksAllowed\n";
print OUTFILE "$turnovForcedPerGame\n";
print OUTFILE "$turnovAllowedPGame\n";
print OUTFILE "$tds\n";
print OUTFILE "$tdsAllowed\n";
close(OUTFILE);

#calculate stats
open(INFILE, "<", "nflStats.txt");
@votes = <INFILE>;
close(INFILE);
foreach my $cycle (@votes) {
	$pres_count[$pres] = $pres_count[$pres] + 1;
}

I'm wanting to compare yourTmScore and otherTmScore. Whichever is highest, display it on the generated page. But I also need to display both scores on the generated page.

Then, the $sacks needs to be added to any previously entered data for that variable. A total and avg per game needs to be output on the generated page.

I'm doing a lot of other things, but these are pretty much examples of the two common things being done throughout.

I suggest you use a single line to hold all the data:

#save to file
open(OUTFILE, ">>","nflStats.txt")
	or die "Error opening nflStats.txt $!, stopped";
print OUTFILE join(':::',
                           $whichWeek, $whereAt, $yourTmScore, $otherTmScore,
                           $passYrdPGame, $rushYrdPGame, $sacks, $sacksAllowed, 
                           $turnovForcedPerGame, $turnovAllowedPGame, $tds, $tdsAllowed), "\n";
close(OUTFILE);

Then you open the file and split each line into a list of variables:

#calculate stats
open(INFILE, "<", "nflStats.txt");
while(<INFILE>) {
   my ($whichWeek, $whereAt, $yourTmScore, $otherTmScore,
          $passYrdPGame, $rushYrdPGame, $sacks, $sacksAllowed, 
          $turnovForcedPerGame, $turnovAllowedPGame, $tds, $tdsAllowed) = split(':::');
  ### do whatever you want with each variable now
}
close INFILE;

Since several of the items need to be added & averaged, how do I go about that. For instance, $passYrdPGame gets entered weekly. How do I add week 1, 2, & 3 together, then average them? Will I need to give it a new name every week or how will I go about it?

What are the two sets of

(':::');

for?

the ':::' is the file delimiter. So your lines might look like this when stored to disk:

1:::3:::4:::23:::7:::12:::55

Later when you read the file you split each line using ':::' and store the individual fields in a list like I already showed you.

How you go about adding/averaging is up to you. You an use sepreate files (for each week) and you would open and read each file and add/average the fields that you want.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.