I have a text area and a button on a frame and there's some text in the text area. What i need is when the user clicks the button whatever the text in the text area is saved to the file "C:\ret" with the aid of the file selector dialog.

I am only using awt components and not any swing components.

Can someone show me or e-mail me a sample program or sample codings or part of the sample program on how this can be done.

My e-mail is freesoft_2000@yahoo.com

I really hope someone can help me.

Thank you

Yours Sincerely

Richard West

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

first save the text in the text area in the string ...
String s = textArea.getText();

then make a file object
File f = new File("c\ret");

then make a writer object
FileWriter fw = new FileWriter(f);

then write into the file
fw.write(s);

This is a raw concept of writing into the file... sequential writing. Post more for any problems in you code.

Hi everyone,

I am having a little problem with streams. When i declare the file and filewriter objects outside any functions i get the error saying that the exception must be caught but when i use the try and catch statements outside any functions i get an illegal function. Any way here is my code and i hope some sone can show me the right way of catching the exception outside any function declarations.

Here is my code

import java.io.*;

public class Streams implements ActionListener, WindowListener
{
//What i need is a way to catch the exceptions outside
//any function declarations

File inputFile = new File("C:/Haha.txt");
FileWriter fw = new FileWriter(inputFile);
BufferedWriter bw = new BufferedWriter(fw);

public static void main(String args[])throws IOException
{
Streams a = new Streams();
a.initialize();
}
}

Thank You

Yours Sincerely

Richard West

File inputFile = new File("C:/Haha.txt");
FileWriter fw;
BufferedWriter bw;

Declare these outside the functions and then initialize them in your functions where you want to use them ... and make sure you have a try catch block where you put the file writer or file reader catching IOException for writer and FileNotFoundException for reader.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.