Hi everybody,

I am new to using XAMPP to locally test my php files (I previousley just uploaded them directly to a free hosting site). I was wondering if anybody knew how other people can view these files. I think it has something to do with replacing the localhost bit in the address with some numbers that look like an ip address, but i tried putting my ip address into it and asked a friend to see if he could see the files but that did not work.

Help with this is much appreciated

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Well you can use your IP address but you'll have to open up port 80 on your firewall and router if applicable. You can also use something like no-ip.org to get a free, albeit temporary, domain.

How would I open port 80 on my computer, would it be done inside norton or from windows??

If you're using the windows firewall then you would add an exception to port 80, I'm not sure with Norton you could just look at online documentation.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.