Hi,

Can Anyone help me for finding the better option for autocomplete Feature of the Textbox.
Its Urgent

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

What exactly you want to do?
can make it more clear?

What exactly you want to do?
can make it more clear?

Actually i want to create a application same as google autocomplete Features.
I am trying in Ajax.So i want to knw is there any article which can help me to get my goal.

it's basically done by javascript where on every keypress you do a search for the value within the textbox. The search then displays in a div all the possible outcomes of the word typed, with the first so many letters in bold, and the rest in a faded color. It's actually quite easy to do. However, it is a pain in the butt to set up the tables/database for this. These are the steps you would perform:

Build three databases/tables. One for Common Words that you would ignore like "I", "ARE", "YOU", "YOUR", "IT", "THIS", etc. The second one for Uncommon words (the words that will fill in when typing). And the last for phrases (if you wish). Every time a search is entered and submitted, ignore the common words by doing a check inside the common word database. If they exist, skip them. If they don't exist, check if they exist in the uncommon database/table. If they don't, insert them in there with a search count of 1. If they do exist, update their search count by 1. Then, when a user enters a word inside a textbox that has this feature, you can search the databases/tables for the word and order by their search count DESCENDING. I would put a limit of let's say.. 15.

You can do this with phrases as well, but your phrases database will be much larger than your words database. If you do a database, every time the keypress feature is activated, you will need to first check the common word database to remove/substitute those common words, then search the regular words database to fill in the current word, then check the phrase database.

The coding of just checking is easy, but the coding of formatting and displaying the information is very difficult, and 10x harder when you're doing phrases.

If it is very important, I say start the project. If it is something that can be implemented later, then make it one of your last subprojects.

it's basically done by javascript where on every keypress you do a search for the value within the textbox. The search then displays in a div all the possible outcomes of the word typed, with the first so many letters in bold, and the rest in a faded color. It's actually quite easy to do. However, it is a pain in the butt to set up the tables/database for this. These are the steps you would perform:

Build three databases/tables. One for Common Words that you would ignore like "I", "ARE", "YOU", "YOUR", "IT", "THIS", etc. The second one for Uncommon words (the words that will fill in when typing). And the last for phrases (if you wish). Every time a search is entered and submitted, ignore the common words by doing a check inside the common word database. If they exist, skip them. If they don't exist, check if they exist in the uncommon database/table. If they don't, insert them in there with a search count of 1. If they do exist, update their search count by 1. Then, when a user enters a word inside a textbox that has this feature, you can search the databases/tables for the word and order by their search count DESCENDING. I would put a limit of let's say.. 15.

You can do this with phrases as well, but your phrases database will be much larger than your words database. If you do a database, every time the keypress feature is activated, you will need to first check the common word database to remove/substitute those common words, then search the regular words database to fill in the current word, then check the phrase database.

The coding of just checking is easy, but the coding of formatting and displaying the information is very difficult, and 10x harder when you're doing phrases.

If it is very important, I say start the project. If it is something that can be implemented later, then make it one of your last subprojects.

Thanks for responding.......anyways this concept i knw. Actually i need the word from a master table. I have already done some how like Google but not fully happening. If u r interested to clear my doubt i can send u the Code

what is your doubt?

IS it better to give the Coding which will make u better understand?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.