Hey,

I have a primary JSP which inlcudes a secondary JSP which is dynamic. How do I pass parameters FROM the secondary JSP back the PRIMARY JSP not the other way around?

For example I have a page which displays the output from a database. The first page is just interested in formatting while the second page actually calls the data from the database - hence it is included. However I also have it so a user can click a record (generated by the second jsp) which can then be edited on the primary page. I therfore need to page the primary key to be passed from the second jsp to the primary one.

Hope you can help :-)

Thanks

> How do I pass parameters FROM the secondary JSP back the PRIMARY JSP not the other way
> around?
You can use session variables as common piggyback mechanism though I am not very sure what you mean by pass the parameters.

The entire process of including the JSP is just an abstraction for the developer. In the end, the client would be just served with a single HTML file (unless you are using Iframes/frames). When the user clicks on the link to modify the record, just call the first or the parent JSP and perform a check in the first JSP to see if the user wants to just view or modify the records.

But still there seems to be something wrong with your design. Are you by any chance accessing the database from the JSP. If yes, it's wrong and you shouldn't do that. If no, then why use two pages? JSP technology is meant to be a presentation layer technology and it's primary purpose is the formatting of the data which is processed in a servlet.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.