Hi,

Im trying to find out about redirecting my site to another daomain - and I couldnt quite pick the right forum to post in so this seemed the best one since im most familiar with PHP.

short and to the point.

xyz.com
I want that to be viewing
abc.def.com - but withought actualyl seeing "abc.def.com" in the address bar.

is this done with CNAME records?

PS. - I dont want to be writing a proxy or anything like abot thatll read hte pages and display them.... Im looking for a longer term solution.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi,

Im trying to find out about redirecting my site to another daomain - and I couldnt quite pick the right forum to post in so this seemed the best one since im most familiar with PHP.

short and to the point.

xyz.com
I want that to be viewing
abc.def.com - but withought actualyl seeing "abc.def.com" in the address bar.

is this done with CNAME records?

PS. - I dont want to be writing a proxy or anything like abot thatll read hte pages and display them.... Im looking for a longer term solution.

Thanks

>is this done with CNAME records?
no.
Questions:
1. will xyz.com be living on the same physical server as abc.def.com?
2. is abc.def.com running in an apache vhost already?
3. if you look at the source scripts of abc.dev.com, is the domain hardcoded in all the links or are they all relative urls?

Doing something like this with badly designed html in abc.def.com will be quite painful. However if they are using php variables to build links, or relative urls, and you can simply set up a second vhost, it will be pretty easy. You set up a new vhost, with a different ServerName directive, pointed to the same www directory and you are done.

If you are sucking someone else's content, without permission, you are setting yourself up for a very expensive copyright lawsuit. But if you do this anyway, a script proxy with regex is probably the only way you can do it.

They'll find you when they see half a zillion hits coming from the same source IP and a cease & desist letter from an attorney won't be far behind.

If you use AJAX it will be the user's browser loading it into a DIV so you probably won't get caught, though an astute administrator will see a ton of referrers from your site and bust you anyway. Fortunately, most administrators are not very astute (or even care).

-Viz

ok.

yes - ive got copyright for abc.def.com

Im setting it up for someone else, and their using google pages, but they have the personal account and arent using google apps - so i dont think google allows you to point your domain at their nameservers.

at the moment the domain (xyz.com) is o=pointing to the current hosting company..... and we want to move that to google pages.
/

Thnaks

ok.

yes - ive got copyright for abc.def.com

Im setting it up for someone else, and their using google pages, but they have the personal account and arent using google apps - so i dont think google allows you to point your domain at their nameservers.

at the moment the domain (xyz.com) is o=pointing to the current hosting company..... and we want to move that to google pages.
/

Thnaks

If you just need it for Google, thats a piece of cake, Google offers services for domains, even gmail for your @xyz.com

http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en/index.html

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.